DIY Wetneck Design

andy

This is what I'm thinking right now:

wetneck_01.jpg

I'm thinking that once a day, the skimmer recirc pump gets turned off (on timer) and a powerhead gets turned on and is allowed to run for a few minutes. Then, the recirc pump gets turned back on.

The powerhead would have to be gated back so that the flow down the neck is just a thin sheet, and the skimmer would have to be pretty level... but those criteria are easy to meet. Aside from that, I think it'd work. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I know I don't need two feeds from the powerhead -- I just thought it might balance teh flow of water down the neck a bit better...

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Are you able to make the neck with that small space? Or are you having that made?

after second look, wouldn't the water from the powerhead push the water into the inside of the riser on the skimmer, clean out that gunk, drain into the water inside the skimmer, and that gunk could get back into the tank?

Yeah, I can make the neck with that small a space. Regarding the junk getting back into the skimmer... I think that's just how wetnecks work. A mechanism to actually remove the goop would be pretty complex.

Yeah, with the brush... it is going to drop crap back into the main chamber of the skimmer, too. The only person I know of who had one had problems with the mechanism and didn't use it. It looks to me to be similar, philosophically, to a icemaker in a fridge -- it works great at first, but as time goes by it gets less and less reliable until it finally just sucks.

Steve Weast has one on his HUGE deltec and I know that he uses it.

The thing is yes it does drop stuff back into the chamber but what happens it that stuff just gets caught into the foam and pulled right back out. Also if you look close on that design it uses the brush and a spray nozzle.

Steve Weast has one on his HUGE deltec and I know that he uses it.

The thing is yes it does drop stuff back into the chamber but what happens it that stuff just gets caught into the foam and pulled right back out. Also if you look close on that design it uses the brush and a spray nozzle.

Yah, i understand thats how its supposed to work. But this gunk comes off in chunks and will undoubtably fall to the bottom of the skimmer...where the water exits. There has to be some getting back into the tank, i guess that amt is just negligable?

Edit: on second thought i guess you are running the wetneck while the skimmer is still running. So i can see that the gunk would be caught up in the foam.

I don't have my magnifying glass at work so i can't see the brushes in your pic (laugh)

The brushes retract upwards, they're motorized to go up-and-down as well as round-and-round

EDIT: Also, I think by running the Deltec wetneck regularly you don't get such huge glops of crud... what is brushed off is easy for the skimmer to just eat normally

I think if it ran all the time it would be counter productive. Take your turkey baster and shoot some water into the riser tube in your skimmer while its running for a few minutes and see how it does.

My assumption was that it comes on intermittently.

I think the problem you will find with the wet neck only is that the water intermintantly running down the neck will not be enough to wash down the build up. I think that why most of the ones I've seen are either pressurized with a spray nozzle or a brush/ wet neck setup. I'm basing this on the fact that when I go to clean mine after a couple of days of use I have to use a brush to remove the build up and even the faucet with heavy spray does not take it all off.

On RC there was a thread, I can't remember by who or where exactly, but he had put a wet neck on a DIY skimmer, it ran all the time and only put out a very tiny amount of water, just enough to keep the neck wet. with the sides wet and clear of goo the foam would rise right out, super fast too because the wet sides, even though the water is falling, greatly reduced friction.