Derbird's 75 gallon reef to be

Derbird

It's alive!

I have finally filled my tank with salt water and all is running! Thank you again Karen and Doug for the bigger mixing tub, it helped get me to this point a week earlier (laugh)

All the bulk heads are working great, the plumbing is holding and the carpet is dry. Except for spilling when filling the tank, but no one needs to know about that (whistle)

The sand has make the water look more like milk it is like a tank from Steven King stories, but thankfully I have seen this on other tank threads so you guys saved me a heart attack here.

More horrible camra phone pix!

Clowdytank.jpg

This looks really bad. I'm pretty sure its normal(scary)

Sump.jpg

My sump up and running and the spaghetti monster power strip.

Sorry for not starting a tank thread sooner. I guess all my posts could have just been done here and not clutter up the forum. (laugh)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
with luck it wont be bumpy for long. Start up seems to be the hardest part.

That it is but I'm learning a lot. The rules are the same as my fresh tanks but with a complicated salty twist.

On a whim I checked the filter socks and I'm sooo glad I did. It has been running only since this morning but they were full of all the nastiest goo (puke) A good rinse and back in but I must remember to check often during this phase.

I haven't run too many tests yet but my salinity is 1.0235 not bad for my first salt making experiance. I had West Side check my hydrometer and they said it was just fine. At least to get started. A big relief.

That "goo" is simply the dust and stuff from the sand. I would however recommend a refractometer to replace the hydrometer with. They are seemingly more accurate and reliable as Hydrometers have a lot of potential failure points when it comes to gunk and grime getting in it affecting the way it reads or the "meters" ability to move easily which could provide an inaccurate reading.

Looks good keep the progress pictures coming

Thank you, My phone isn't the best for pictures but I am suprized its doing as well as it is.

That "goo" is simply the dust and stuff from the sand. I would however recommend a refractometer to replace the hydrometer with. They are seemingly more accurate and reliable as Hydrometers have a lot of potential failure points when it comes to gunk and grime getting in it affecting the way it reads or the "meters" ability to move easily which could provide an inaccurate reading.

Its on the list but right now this hobby is eating up my resorces much faster than I expected. But the refractometer is definatly on the short list

Hey everyone is it normal to be getting lots of micro bubbles over every thing at first? Its a fine mist on the glass and equipment. Or is something out of adjustment?

I woke up this morning and my tank was cristal clear ;). So I set to work cleaning the filter socks, leveling the sand and putting in some of my live rock and when I was done the tank looked as cloudy as day one DOH! It is already clearing back up again.

Tankwithrock.jpg

My tank

Live rock in!

Rock1.jpg

Rock2.jpg

I will post better pix as soon as it is clear again

I have put some little shrimp in to start the cycling up. How long do I leave them in. Just let them decompose?

I had already put im some baby brine shrimp ( 2 days ago ) hoping to start the cycle but I checked my Amonia today and it was at 0ppm

Oh I did put some "Smart Start" that was recomended in to the tank today. It said just add fish right after but I will be waiting of course. It should dramaticaly cut down the time ( I hope )

Better Pix

liverock3.jpg

clearedtank.jpg

I do have four more pieces of live rock to go in to the tank. The problem is they have some beautiful mushroom corals red and green a ricordia, some green zoa. Not to mention my new little friends a hermit crab and sea cucumber! I jerry riged a QT tank for them out of a 20L, circulation pump and a heater. I really hope they make it (scary). Just thought I would save them the worst of the cycling prosses.

Still a huge thank you to Jesse for the awesome rock! Yes I know I'm still being parinoid with the corals (laugh)

I FOUND A BABY STARFISH! (dancing)

Man I love this live rock stuff (laugh)! That is if its a good starfish (scary)

Will it be alright, its in my main tank thats cycling or should I try to find it again and move it to my QT tank.

Its tiny less than the size of a dime and I though I may have seen a second one but man those things are faster than I would think.

Sorry to keep posting like this but I getting more excited by the hour abut this tank (naughty)

Is it a little white one?

Its tan and uses suction cups to move around so not brittle or serpent if I read the web site correctly. I have found two more in my QT tank as well.

Oh one had 6 legs the rest have 5, not sure if that helps

Its tan and uses suction cups to move around so not brittle or serpent if I read the web site correctly. I have found two more in my QT tank as well.

Oh one had 6 legs the rest have 5, not sure if that helps

They are asternia stars (I think thats how you spell it). not sure where they sprouted up from but I'm sure it came from the rock. They never bothered anything in my tank but if you want to poul them out it won't hurt.

They are asternia stars (I think thats how you spell it). not sure where they sprouted up from but I'm sure it came from the rock. They never bothered anything in my tank but if you want to poul them out it won't hurt.

Alright, thanks for the ID

I have spent the last half hour googling the starfish ( that sounds dirty now that I say that (naughty) ) and it sounds like everyone has a different opinion of these little guys. Not a suprise, no one ever agrees online (laugh)

The concensus seems to be mostly harmless and even helpful. The one thing everyone agreed on is its pointless to eradicate. I'll keep an eye on them and their numbers and just enjoy the little animals. Unless they mess with the corals (plotting)

muhahahaha i like the way you think!! ;) I found a couple small six legged ones in my tank too!! so guess will let the little guys stick around a bit!!

Pretty much, my tank is so empty with just sand and rock its nice to see them. If they can make it through the cycling of course. And LEAVE MY CORAL ALONE!

Not sure if this will help you but for my refugium setup (I was just reading your posts-small world) I was told to use some live rock/sand and get some macroalge and whola you have a great little filter in your sump! Don't forget the light though, I almost did until I read another post. I'm sure the experts can be of more help but this is what I have learned so far.

Test kit results,

Salinity 1.0235 Holding steady

Amonia 0.25ppm

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

I have had two ugly little shrimp stuck in the bottom of my tank for two days and my amonia is still only 0.25 (laugh) Its so unnatural to hope for amonia in a tank (whistle)

I think I'm just getting impatient and want to see grand results, how long does it normaly take to see the spikes. I have used every cheat I could find (scratch)

I finally took a pix before I messed with the system and made the water all cloudy (laugh)

Tankpix.jpg

Its amazing how anything you do makes bubbles and clouds the water (whistle)

Tank is still cycling its little heart out.

Salinity 1.035

Amonia 0.50ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Wow those shrimp are getting gross. Little white fuzzy hairs are growing out of them and on the sand around them (puke) I still love the little faces...LOL

Archived