Derbird's 75 gallon reef to be

Derbird

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next level, we have Nitrites! wow so unatural to be happy here (laugh)

Amonia 0.25ppm

Nitrites 0.50ppm

Nitrates 0

Salinity 1.0235 I top off with salt water but no changes. baby steps 4 cups a day will take time to make a dent.

Now seeing some nasty brown algee growing on the rocks and starting to spread to the sand. Almost time for a CUC. (dancing) Things are coming along nicely

Alright I am a little confused about my test results (scratch)

Salinity 1.024

Amonia It has been going between 0 and 0.25ppm and back.

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

I was expecting to see my Nitrates go up as my Nitrites disapreared. I am seeing a good amout of brown algee starting on my sand, rock and power heads. Could the nitrates be used before they show up on my test?

MORE TANK PIX ;)

mms_picture1.jpg

My Tank, I have tryed to stop moving stuff but must except that I am going to play with it (laugh)

mms_picture12.jpg

My Algee Farm.

I did have a question. How would I aclimate my crtters to the main tank. I have a sea cucumber and two hermit crabs that are out of food in my QT tank and a feast is growing in the DT for them. Is it safe to put them in yet. My tank has only been up and cycling for two weeks? (scary)

Alright I am a little confused about my test results (scratch)

Salinity 1.024

Amonia It has been going between 0 and 0.25ppm and back.

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

I was expecting to see my Nitrates go up as my Nitrites disapreared. I am seeing a good amout of brown algee starting on my sand, rock and power heads. Could the nitrates be used before they show up on my test?

MORE TANK PIX ;)

mms_picture1.jpg

My Tank, I have tryed to stop moving stuff but must except that I am going to play with it (laugh)

mms_picture12.jpg

My Algee Farm.

I did have a question. How would I aclimate my crtters to the main tank. I have a sea cucumber and two hermit crabs that are out of food in my QT tank and a feast is growing in the DT for them. Is it safe to put them in yet. My tank has only been up and cycling for two weeks? (scary)

I would toss them in. Just keep an eye on the tiger tail. If for some weird reason it dies in the tank you will need to do a large water change. I really don't think it will though.

Ok I fially bit the bullet and shut down my QT tank. All is now in my main tank! with the exception of about a hundred tiny Asterina stars, they where not kidding abut these guys multiplying quick! I will post a pix as soon as the sand settles.

Hey Jesse, how would I know if the tiger tail died? It sounds like a dumb question but it seems to just lie under a rock and hide so not too much sign of life to begin with. Is the little guy nocturnal?

Sorry I know I cant spell....LOL

Ok I fially bit the bullet and shut down my QT tank. All is now in my main tank! with the exception of about a hundred tiny Asterina stars, they where not kidding abut these guys multiplying quick! I will post a pix as soon as the sand settles.

Hey Jesse, how would I know if the tiger tail died? It sounds like a dumb question but it seems to just lie under a rock and hide so not too much sign of life to begin with. Is the little guy nocturnal?

Sorry I know I cant spell....LOL

They come out at night time. I had them for over a year so I'm sure it will be fine aclimating to your tank. I moved it from two different tanks without any issues.

How do you know it died question: I have no idea. I haven't had one die on me yet. With that being said I've always heard that having cucumbers they can release a poison in the tank when they die. Again I wouldn't worry about it though.

MY TANK LOOKS AWESOME! (drinking)

Tankeveryoneishome.jpg

Again sorry for the camra phone

Mushroomsinnewhome.jpg

Mushrooms seem alright or about to melt but I vote for alright (laugh)

Misterystar.jpg

ANOTHER NEW STARFISH. I know its hard to see but it is black and very skinny. It has six arms and moves like greased lightning. Who would have thought starfish could move so fast. Oh and its larger than the Asterina about 3/4" if fully streached

Is this a good starfish. Its in whats left of my QT tank. If so I will move to DT tank. although its porbably already in there with the rock. Live rock, the gift that keeps on giving (laugh)

those are brittle stars. They are a good part of the cleanup crew in the tank.

Thats great! (yahoo)

Thankyou again for the great rock! It has had so many suprizes, I'm loving this hobby. Salt water anonomus here I come. (whistle)

Update on parameters,

Salinity 1.0245

Amonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

I think my nitrates are being used as fast as my system can make them because my little algee farm is producing a bumper crop (laugh) not just brown any more. I am seeing the starts of the green algee that looks like grass.

Time to think about my CUC.

I am a little overwhelmed by the options that salt water offers. My fresh water history has given me a hated of snails. They always took over my systems and more than once drastic mesures had to be taken to get rid of them. I did actually bleach a tank to rid myself of them (flame). I think I must get over this for a successful reef DOH!

My must have / wish list

Cleaner shrimp 1 or 2

Peppermint shrimp 3 or 5, I hear they do best in packs.

Chromis about 3, you have to have a school in a tank right

Clown fish pair, I am leaning towards false percula

Some sort of Nem, to be determined

Current residents

2 hermit crabs, blue legged ones

1 Leapord tail cucumber

What are everyones suggestions to add to this to make a successful reef system. The clean up crew is one of the most important things and I don't want to skip any thing important. I am a true noobie to this so any suggestions would be great. I would hate to get things that would be incompatible (scary)

MY FIRST FISH IS HOME (dancing)

He or she is a blue damsel, yes an evil damsel but the guy at west side swore to me that this one is less agressive than most others. Still agressive but less. (whistle) we will have to see how it goes.

I also picked up 10 assorted snails and 10 hermit crabs. The hermits were to be red legs but at least two of them have black and white legs, I am guessing they are zebra hermits but its a guess.

Here is my new little friend!

FirstSaltFish.jpg

Updated parmaiters

Salinity 1.0245

PH 8.2

Amonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitarte 0ppm

I do belive my tank has cycled (naughty)

Well my new fish friend has been in the tank now for 3 days minus a few hours. She is looking great. Good color and making her self at home. I don't think West Side ever fed this fish, she goes absolutly crazy at feeding time eating more than I thought possible plus she is nibbling on my algee. (laugh) a unexpected bonus (laugh)

All critters looking good, the snails seem to fall off the glass overnight and need to be picked up and put back up there. I'm sure they find there way back but I now have a wolf pack of hermits hunting for new shells. (whistle)

Every thing is looking great and I'm loving my tank! Although it is a bit empty still (plotting)

Looking good' date=' I think you have spent your money wisely so far! crazy how fast it goes! keep the updates coming![/quote']

Man your not kidding, I would not have belived when I was starting what this system has cost. But I am enjoying it that much more than I thought I would (laugh)

Tank Update

Salinity 1.025 Perfect ;)

NH3 0ppm

N2 0ppm

N3 0ppm

Plus my established live rock (thank you Noobtosalt again) is regaining its coriline algee. And my tank is only three weeks old (drinking)

Possible changes comming soon (plotting)

MY FIRST FISH IS HOME (dancing)

He or she is a blue damsel, yes an evil damsel but the guy at west side swore to me that this one is less agressive than most others. Still agressive but less. (whistle) we will have to see how it goes.

I also picked up 10 assorted snails and 10 hermit crabs. The hermits were to be red legs but at least two of them have black and white legs, I am guessing they are zebra hermits but its a guess.

Here is my new little friend!

FirstSaltFish.jpg

Updated parmaiters

Salinity 1.0245

PH 8.2

Amonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitarte 0ppm

I do believe my tank has cycled (naughty)

Just a little warning about blue damsel's, they might look great and may become one of your favorite fish, but they are not to be trusted. Whoever u talked to at Westside misinformed u.....once your tanked is established and u start adding new fish, the damsel will terrorize them. It will get bad enough that u will eventually have to remove it. I only tell u this because I learned the hard way.

Just a little warning about blue damsel's' date=' they might look great and may become one of your favorite fish, but they are not to be trusted. Whoever u talked to at Westside misinformed u.....once your tanked is established and u start adding new fish, the damsel will terrorize them. It will get bad enough that u will eventually have to remove it. I only tell u this because I learned the hard way.[/quote']

Oh man I hope this little lady is the exception to that rule. I have grown very fond of her and her bigger than life personality and I would hate for my first saltwater fish to end up living in the fuge (sad). She is too pretty to hide. Although I still can't belive how much she eats! They should call these pig fish. (laugh)

A quick question. My sand looks live a horror movie set. Is there any critter I can add now to clean it up. My system is still very new so the suggested starfish is not yet an option. The poor thing would starve. But are gobies hardy enough to live in a new tank or other options? Or do I just need to live with it for now?DOH!

Just a little warning about blue damsel's' date=' they might look great and may become one of your favorite fish, but they are not to be trusted. Whoever u talked to at Westside misinformed u.....once your tanked is established and u start adding new fish, the damsel will terrorize them. It will get bad enough that u will eventually have to remove it. I only tell u this because I learned the hard way.[/quote']

Once he starts adding fish this one would make a great home in the refugium.

If your tank is still fairly new, then the sand will clean up on its own. Diatoms are part of the cycling process, just wait them out. If u do want something to turn the sand over, I would recommend a diamond goby.

A quick question. My sand looks live a horror movie set. Is there any critter I can add now to clean it up. My system is still very new so the suggested starfish is not yet an option. The poor thing would starve. But are gobies hardy enough to live in a new tank or other options? Or do I just need to live with it for now?DOH!

You can always wait, or if you would like to, you may add a sand sifting goby as your next fish when the time is right. They are good for keeping the sand bed turned and aerobic

TIME TO UPGRADE!

Well I have done some thing awesome and terrifying at the same time (dancing)(scary)DOH!

Many people have seen Jesse's sweet old 120 gallon setup. Well I could not pass up this deal so I have upgraded my system to the 120 (dancing)

I have to clean up the parts and get every one set up in my QT tank for the switch but I am extreamly excited about this. I may have just set a new noobie record here for time until upgrade (laugh). My 75 wasen't even finished yet. But it will make a great home for my fresh water semi aggresive tank. I am even excited about having a sump on a fresh tank. So much to play with.

Any way back to salt (wrong forum for that chat). I will post some pix and may ask too many questions when I get going on the build. I thank everyone for the help already received and that yet to come. Now to scrub (laugh)

Archived