GFO, Carbon, Phosban Reactors

nhoffee

Hi all, I have a question regarding reactors. Are they recommended or needed. I am currently considering on getting one or a few. I am wondering if there are any sites that will provide me with more info. I am also looking for personal experience with the reactors.

For a side bit of info i am upgrading my 55g to a 210g tank. Thanks for the great support.

Needed? Probably no, convenient heck yes! I have three on mine. One for carbon. One for phosban. And one for anything else i need. I run them in sequence using one pump. Thats the only "filter" I use besides a skimmer. I don't know many websites on them, probably because they arent new or controversial haha. I like the two little fishes brand although i do wish they would fix their oring system, can be difficult to line up when cleaning.

I did a ton of research regarding different types of reactors. I think they are hands down the most bang for your buck regarding most reef equipment. They are exponentially more efficient then the 'ol mesh bag. By forcing tank water through a cylinder packed with a filter medium at a controlled rate, they achieve a maximum productivity by forcing water onto/through all of the service area of the medium; whereas with a sock, most of the water just flows around it. If you are familiar with most RODI units, the BRS reactor is just those canisters with appropriately sized tubing and a ball valve. Most people love the BRS reactors, I have a TLF Phosban 150 on my 55G, and i'm quite satisfied. At the end of the x-number of months you want to replace your carbon or GFO, you'll be confident that its exhausted. This is contrast to replacing a mesh bag/sock and wondering if your "high flow area" is really as high of a flow as it could be.

I would advise picking up one used because at or around $40, you can usually pick one up around these forums for half that.

Good luck

I have a BRS reactor on my 40B & it's SOO easy to change media. You just unscrew the canister & clean out the old & put in the new. One the other side, I have a Via Aqua in my Bio Cube & it's a pain in rear to change media in ( I bought the Via Aqua before I found out about the BRS) I thinking of getting another BRS when I hook my sump to my Bio Cube.

Archived