Noisy sump

Vis

I would appreciate any advice on how to quiet my sump down. I have a filter pad and then the water rains down onto a plastic grate about 6 inches down. It's pretty noisy. Would it be okay to put another filter pad on top of the grate to dampen the sound?

How about filling up the area under the plastic grate with live rock so the water doesn't have to fall 6 inches' date=' and you get the added benefit of more live rock in your system.[/quote']

Yea, what she said. Solving 2 problems with one (or a bunch) of stones!

Make the pipe longer so it does discharge the return from the overflow under the sump water level. The best way to do it is with a pvc T that is half submerged. This way the water goes into the sump without noise and the air does not go into the sump.

You don't want to have a lot of surface where there is air/water exchange or you will have some sort of wet/dry filter

Make the pipe longer so it does discharge the return from the overflow under the sump water level. The best way to do it is with a pvc T that is half submerged. This way the water goes into the sump without noise and the air does not go into the sump.

You don't want to have a lot of surface where there is air/water exchange or you will have some sort of wet/dry filter

I can't really adjust it Alex as the sump has a cover over the plate which holds the filter pad. The 2 pipes from the overflow attach on top of it. I think the design was meant to make a space for bioballs but it didn't come with any and I read that they aren't recommended . I'll try adding some live rock. My living room sounds like Niagra Falls!

Archived