Cleaning algae on glass?

J-Dog

How often does everyone have to clean their tanks glass? It seems like I'm cleaning my glass every 2-3 days. Is that a normal time frame or am I getting abnormal algae growth in my tank? Let me know what u guys think, thanks. (naughty)

Like Gabe said, I kinda get a brown dusty layer every couple of days. Is this normal? I would love not to have to clean the glass so often if there was a way to reduce this stuff

I'm also starting to get some small spots that are a lot harder to get off with my magna float. Does everyone here use float scrapers or do u clean manually?

Do you use RO/DI water? I use a creadit card to clean my tanks' date=' works great for acrylic!!!!![/quote']

Of course I use RO/DI water.....what's funny is that I don't have algae anywhere else in my tank (scratch). If I don't touch my glass for 3 days, I have a brown haze all over. Does anyone know if this is normal?

The brown stuff is just diatoms. It's completely natural, there are some species of snail and limpets that pretty much only eat diatoms. As far as fixing it, you could try a diatom filter but I don't think that it would completely stop them from growing. I do a deep cleaning in my tank about once a month. I wipe down my front glass every other day with a mag float.

Its normal and all systems are different, yours will also change with temperature, Ph etc. I notice mine is more when i refill My Kalk reactor and the Ph is higher, I may need to clean every other day, as the Ph slowly runs on the lower end I can go 3-4 days sometimes longer. Also note the term "Needs to be cleaned" is different then "when" I clean, right now it needs to be cleaned but I'm watching tv so its not getting cleaned!, I clean the front more often that the sides, I'll let them go for the snails a day or two more than the front, give them some food

I clean my tank with a single edged razor blade. Would only do this on a glass tank. You might want to cut down on feeding also, but if I remember correctly you have little kids and I know how often they like to see the fish eat!

Archived