Buffing out Scratches

reeftherapy

hey hey hey I do . lol relly depens how deep they are you can go to Tap Plastic and by there polish stage 2 and 3 and a buffing wheel for your drill the cost is $61.00

I know since I went and got it to day. this will work on minor scraches if you are trying to make a show tank out of someone else old tank that has a lot of deep scraches Like I have to do then you need to got to this web page and purchase the Heavy Damage removal kit http://micro-surface.com/ for $122. + shipping

I am ordering one of these also it real require you to remove all live stock from tank.

Tap Plastic took a 100 grit sand paper across a 1/4" sheet of plex glass and showed me how the polish works it worked but i could still see the scraches very lightly I took the sheet with me to practice since I got sand paper also to go over with 1st then use the polish.

how big is the area your fixing?

Email from James

All the kits are available at micro-surface.com

Which kit I'd personally use would depend on the severity of the

scratches, but the buffer/polish kits are only for the mildest of jobs

in my opinion. For heavier scratches, too much material must be

removed and a buffer isn't up to something like that.

HTH,

James Steele

>> President

>> Envision Acrylics, Inc.

>> 7771 SW Cirrus Dr

>> Beaverton, OR 97008

I used the 2 part polish compound from tap plastic on one side of my 36x36 cube inside and out with a buffing wheel on a cordless drill and I am relly happy with the results all the minor and medium sctaches are gone there are a couple of deep scraches that are still there but are not showing up like they were. I thank the only time your see them is when the algea forms on them.

I may wait on buying the 121 dollard porduct untill i polish the entire tank and fill it up out side and look at it.

Ill post pic of befor and after tomorrow after work

Reef

Is there any way to get scratches out of glass?

Glass is MUCH harder than acrylic and requires correspondingly more patience. I don't recommend using a cordless drill -- you'll want to chuck the polishing pad into a power drill, preferably with a locking trigger so you don't have to hold it down to run the thing. The usual precautions about electricity and water apply.

See this page, and the last post in this Reef Central thread may also be helpful -- last I looked, cerium oxide was getting pricey, what with China monopolizing rare earth production and all.

Edit: Also, I've heard that toothpaste was used Back In The Day. Apparently, the silica abrasive in the toothpaste would do the trick.

Archived