Introducing 10 year old dead/live rock

huskerduck

Hello all,

While being a noob, I had a successful 200 gallon acrylic coral reef a decade ago but things were different in those days. we used bio balls sumps with plastic in tank skimmers and anyway I think I get used to this new algae cleaning thing with some reading up.

I bought a 125 yesterday and its established with live rock, has good purples throughout and seems very healthy, very few fish and an anenome or two and a couple small corals.

I am transferring the entire system today and my question is, I have a couple hundred pounds of Live rock ( dead years ago) thats been stored in big coolers, alot of it was Fiji and there is huge chunks of dead yellow, blue and white corals ( large pieces) and some large red pipe organ looking stuff, can I place this in the tank? Its been washed and dryed a decade ago but I think it would re-establish faily well, Im just not sure if it would do anything to the water as far as Alk or pH or phosphates and such

I don't see why not, almost all liverock is is dead coral anyways. I would brush off anything that looks funky, otherwise you should be fine. I would make sure you seed the rock with a few good pieces of LIVErock though

you might want to set up another tub and just put that rock in there with heat, pump, and saltwater, along with a few small rocks of the fresher stuff, to get it all cycled, just in case it has organics soaked up in the rock. You wouldn't want all that coming out and killing off the stuff in the new system