General Question

Reefsickness

Is it just me or do most of you find it's very hard to keep your hands out your tank?(scary)

Is that why most of you have 5 tanks so you can be doing some thing all the time, moving rocks,fraging,water changes.

I thank I need to move to a bigger place. That way I can have a tank room and beable to keep busy doing somthing .(plotting)

Wife says I have the perfect name ReefSickNess. It.s like dope do they have a 12 step program for problem lol.

I had 5 tanks up and running at one time. I now have two and am looking to get rid of the 29 biocube. I love the hobby but it takes up way too much of my time. I never realized how much I got caught up in the tanks. The only tank I'm going to do next is a shark tank but it probably won't happen at this house. Just don't have the room for it.

I'm constantly messing with my system. Moving pieces here and there. Looking at anything and everything. I seriously think this hobby is worse than crack. It consumes a lot of money and a lot of time. It's pretty amazing though that we can keep these creatures alive. I'm going on vacation in less than a week for three days to Vegas and I'm scared to death to leave my tank.

I'm constantly messing with my system. Moving pieces here and there. Looking at anything and everything. I seriously think this hobby is worse than crack. It consumes a lot of money and a lot of time. It's pretty amazing though that we can keep these creatures alive. I'm going on vacation in less than a week for three days to Vegas and I'm scared to death to leave my tank.

If you lived closer I would watch your tank and rearange it a few times for ya (scary)

I have been keeping critters for a long time (not necessarily salt water) and I have to warn you that you can burn yourself out if your not careful. I'm not saying you should keep your hands out of the tank, just suggesting that you don't get too many going too fast.

I have had at least one saltwater tank since I was 12. When I first started I would mess with everything multiple times a day, but now my hands are only in the tanks once a week for water changes. I have everything just the way I want it and don't need to change anything. My tanks are incredibly simple with just a HOB protein skimmer, a GFO reactor and lots of LR, so there isn't much to go wrong. I have been gone for almost a month with no tank sitter and everything was just fine when I came back. The only thing I did was lower my salinity to 1.023 before I left, so my salinity wouldn't get too high with no top offs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The less you move things around the better. Corals don't grow as readily when constantly moved from one spot to another.

My hands go in the tank when they have to...when I am adding a coral, fragging a coral, or moving a coral away from an unfriendly neighbor....so, about once every other day or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my hands in the tank at least once a day. Either cleaning the sides, moving a coral, replacing a knocked over coral, etc.... I only have 1 tank, well plus a QT tank, but it definitely keeps me occupied! If my hand isn't in the tank, i spend at least 15-20min a day just staring at the tank admiring the colors and how well everything is doing.

When I first started, I couldn't keep my hands out of the tank. Always I was rearranging and what not. I fully understand the addictive need to move stuff around! That wore off after a while, now that everything is in the right place. Now my hands are very rarely in the tank, not even for water changes.

just a fun fact: since sea water is basic (PH 8.3ish) it actually dissolves your skin(it doesnt dissolve much).... so when you put your fingers in the tank and your hands fell really slippery... just know that is your dissolved skin... not like it makes a horrible health hazard or anything, it is just fun to know....

Archived