im getting anxious so im starting a list can u help?

Dustin

hey guys and gals so im still unable to start my tank but im hoping within the next 4 months or so ill b able to get one up and running so i come to u to ask what are good starter corals i do know that im very interested in zoas im also interested in the mushrooms that overlap and kinda lay flat on the rocks idk the names as u can probably tell rics are also cool and something id like to keep so if u have any suggestions on corals and fish aswell im pretty interested in a porcupine puffer but not dead set on getting one also if u have pics thats even better so i can see what ur talking about to give u an idea of my taste i prefer black hornets over purple i like captain americas and watermelon zoas really anything colorful but again im starting out and i know some of these r high end and i want to stay away from that so suggestions haha ok sorry im rambling

I agree with Franklin 100%. Get your feet "wet"(laugh) with some soft corals first. Most are pretty forgiving.

Puffers and reef tanks don't really mix. Hermits and snails=snacks for the puffer. Plus they eat a lot and make lots of waste. Makes for bad water quality. I think I have seen a valentini puffer in a reef, but it still munched on the cleanup crew.

Too bad you aren't up and running, I am trying to rid of a few different softies right now.

Hey....I just realized. This is my hundredth post. WOO-HOO!!!!(yahoo) Only took me 5 years to do it. Wow! I really am just a lurker(hidesbehindsofa)

Pink pulsind Zenia, any tree coral, leathers, green fuzzy shrooms, sponges, toadstools, brain corals, zoo's are all good starter corals. Research any fish before you buy! Look at their compatibility with coral and with each other. Do not rush out and buy 6 fish and put them in your tank at once, same with coral. Aclimate 1 coral every couple days and 1 fish a week seems to be the best rule as to not stress out the others. Come by when you are ready and we can frag some stuff for you.

Thanks newfisher that would b great I've heard bad things about Xenia over growing a tank is that something to b cautious about ill definitely hit u up when I get something put together as far as cycling a tank I've heard 3-6 months what is the standard also is it better to start with a fowler tank I know if I try that im just gonna get impatient also best clean up crew? Im really interested in a sally light foot r they good cleaners

well i dont have a tank setup yet it will b awhile and i actually just got a job i start tomorrow what do u do at lane? i may only b working 4 days a week i may b able to help u out but i dont really know my schedule yet

wow, those type of comments should be saved for private messages, IMHO, anywho, back to topic, I have mushrooms, yellow pollyps and xenia that do just fine in my nano tank with not that great of light, I like all three of them too. Very hardy corals.

thanks are there any really bright leathers it seems like a lot of the ones ive seen are earthy colors i want my first tank to draw attention because i feel like other peoples intrest in my tank will keep me interested while im setting it up and having to move slowly at first im pretty easily discouraged it would seem thanks for ur time i appreciate the response

I think you are definitely on the right track with looking at softies, and as you noted, a lot of them aren't very exciting. Some of the neon leathers and yellow leathers are good looking, and mushrooms are pretty hardy and can be found in a wide range of colors and textures to keep it interesting. Green star polyps and Xenia are both nice, but can take over a tank on you if you let them.

I think the reason a lot of people come and go quickly in this hobby is because of bad equipment, so I would recommend making sure that what you buy for your tank is high quality, even if it means saving up for longer to do it right the first time. This site, and the others like it, are a great resource where you can bounce equipment ideas off of people that have been in the hobby for a long time to be sure a part that you are considering is a good decision.

wow' date=' those type of comments should be saved for private messages, IMHO, anywho, back to topic, I have mushrooms, yellow pollyps and xenia that do just fine in my nano tank with not that great of light, I like all three of them too. Very hardy corals.[/quote']

you are right, my apologies

Archived