Help and advise needed

rgrcrain

Ok, so yesterday I'm working away at my job in Boise Idaho and I get a call from my Apt complex in Vancouver at 1230pm. My aquarium had started leaking through the ceiling of the apt below me at midnight and set off their smoke detector so they called the Fire Dept. Who came and knocked in my door to see what was flooding after finding the fish tank I guess they left.

The apt manager told me everything was wet the top of the stand looked wet and was there anyone I could call because she was scared the fish would be without water before I got home. So I called OIAB and Robert went over immediately and figured out the issue. Apparently a filter sock was up on the edge of my sump and when it filled with dirt it started overflowing and went over the edge. As it did this it set off my top off which dumped a 20 gallon trash can full of water into my tank throughout the night. But from testing the water it didn't really hurt the salinity or anything else I tested.

My real problem is I have to move a 120gal tank from the bedroom to the dining room umm NOW so they can assess the damage to the carpet/pad/subfloor. The coral I am planning on putting in rubbermaid tubs until I get it moved. I have another tank setup down in a garage and I am trying to get advise on the fish. I can either throw them in a 40gal trash can until the tank is back up and running or I can put them in this other tank for a week or so to let them calm down and let the tank settle down too.

Lots of lessons learned here, let me know what you think.

Again sorry this happened Roger but it made for a good story too. Welcome to the my tank flooded my room club you're in good company. Props to Robert for helping you out in an emergency. How many fish do you have and what kind? The fish would do fine in the tank but I imagine they would be easier to retrieve in a rubbermaid. Beth and I have moved tanks several times and the fish have always done fine in a rubber maid.

• 1 month later...

Radio Interview Request

Hey Roger,

My name is Jaymee Cuti and I am a producer on the radio show Destination DIY, which airs on Oregon Public Broadcasting, as well as a few public radio stations in Texas and New York, plus on the Web as a podcast.

I'm working for a segment about Do-It-Yourself disaster stories and I'm wondering if you might be willing to tell your story on the radio. As a fellow aquarist, I assure you that I've also caused a flood and even nearly an electrical fire by letting a sump run dry. I'm sorry this happened but let me know if you're up for telling your story.

You can learn more about the show at www.destinationdiy.org or by contacting me at jaymee@destinationdiy.org. I'm on a tight deadline so if you think you might be interested, please send me a message ASAP.

Thanks so much.

--Jaymee

Sorry Jaymee but I'm a man of few words and most of them start with a S or F so the interview would be fairly short. ;)

Reefsickness it was probably the best thing that could have happened. I moved it to the dining room and my GF couldn't be happier. :). Although, it did happen July 13th, from what I can tell the Apt people haven't come it to look at the damage.

Archived