Foam backgrounds, who has em? DIY'ing mine soon.

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks cool Stew' date=' is the foam and all the paint,glue safe for the tank? I assume it is since you're doing it, just seems like alot of stuff going into the water! Anyway looks good cant wait to see it up and running[/quote']

The paint is an epoxy based paint so it cures hard and innert.

The foam is designed for use in ponds, it is UV resistant and safe for fish.

No glue was used, this spray foam is designed to also be used as an adhesive and expands less than other spray foams.

Many people haved used the foam and epoxy style backgrounds before, but most have added them into a pre existing tank by building them outside the tank and then placing them into a running system. I decided to just build mine directly into the tank since I got it for free and I needed to hide a bunch of patched over holes in the acrylic.

Josh (Drunkreefer) actually gave me the idea to scape it more like it came out as opposed to the flat rock walls that most people make with spray foam. His experience and inspiration came from using spray foam to build vivarium habitats for poison dart frogs. Between the two of us we brainstormed some decent ideas and actually managed to make most of what we tried to do. I even got to try out the idea I had years ago of hiding the closed loop returns in the rock work by utilizing barnacles.

A lot of it has been trial and error on building the structures and getting the textures I wanted, now I guess its time to build something nice for inside the house (laugh)

Got it at Home Depot, its made by Behr called 1 party Epoxy Concrete and Garage Floor Paint. Comes in white and gray, but you can ask them to add color to it if you want. I only comes in 1 gallon buckets though, so if you only need a little bit I have some.

I bought a gallon and divided it into 4 quart containers and had them mix me 4 different colors of gray.

Thanks guys :D

I'm glad it turned out as good as it did.

I read through just about every thread on every forum I could find about spray foam backgrounds, then took the knowledge and info that others had shared and applied the bits that were relevant to what I was doing. A few test pieces, and some experimenting on the side and boom :D

I'm going to do the same kind of background on my smaller coldwater tank for indoors as well.

More plumbing done today, built another auto feeder.

I just have to paint a couple things, move it into place, and level out, then its ready to be filled and start cycling. Last pic shows the new auto feeder I had to make since the plumbing on the other one didn't work with this setup, plus side is the old auto feeder will fit perfect under my small indside coldwater tank :D

IMG_20110912_184714.jpg

IMG_20110912_184738.jpg

IMG_20110912_184754.jpg

IMG_20110912_184850.jpg

Looks like you have these tanks down!! would like to come by and see them sometime' date=' let me know when this one is up and running[/quote']

Hopefully it will be up and running with water in it sometime this week. I gotta clean up a few things, but otherwise everything is where it needs to be.

I'll make sure and put up a "Grand Opening of the Damascus Oregon Aquarium" thread when its all ready to go :D

• 9 months later...