Foam backgrounds, who has em? DIY'ing mine soon.

AquaticEngineer

Got a bunch of cans of black pond spray foam. I did a test piece today and pushed most of the air out and pushed a bunch of rock salt into it as after it stopped expanding. Came out looking just like a tupperware shaped piece of lace rock :D

It actually dries kind of a charcoal gray color, which is cool since I'm trying to mimic rock from the Oregon coast. I'll be using a few shades of gray marine epoxy paint in some areas to blend the background also.

The area I'll be working on is a 66" x 36" back of an acrylic tank. I dont plan on ever removing this once its in there, so I'm going to spray foam directly onto the back of the tank. I'm going to use a few large pieces of lace rock as a support structure for a few areas.

I'm just curious about things others have learned when using spray foam. I've read through every thread on about 6 forums that I could find, but any other tips you got I'd love to hear them.

Here's my 5 minute test rock.

IMG_20110627_203751.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are applying it on the back wall, you don't have to worry about the "thing" being too buoyant. After it dries (24-48hrs) you can cut some caves and passages for the fish to swim thru or such.

You will need an extra set of hands for applying the sand after applying the foam. (If you wait too long, like several seconds after applying the foam, it'll have started to "skin" over and the sand won't stick).

Then the areas that you missed with the sand, you will need to do the epoxy/sand thing to it. Wear gloves and "throw away" "T-shirt" clothes, cause you will get some on them.

And for that area, you'll need several cans of the Pond/Stone Foam

have fun

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/wanareef/?action=view&current=foam-rock-wall.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/wanareef/th_rock-wall.jpg?t=1254264553

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/wanareef/th_IMG_5353.jpg

pix's of the 80gal's rock wall

Thanks for the info and pics :D

Since you are applying it on the back wall' date=' you don't have to worry about the "thing" being too buoyant. After it dries (24-48hrs) you can cut some caves and passages for the fish to swim thru or such.[/quote']

Sweet :D I think I'm going to use some old soda bottles to creat some tunnels or passages, and then collapse them and cut them out after it dries.

You will need an extra set of hands for applying the sand after applying the foam. (If you wait too long' date=' like several seconds after applying the foam, it'll have started to "skin" over and the sand won't stick).[/quote']

No sand on this rock wall :D The black foam along with some gray expoxy paint will give me the color I'm looking for. We are going to press rock salt into it as it is expanding to give it the texture we want.

Wear gloves and "throw away" "T-shirt" clothes' date=' cause you will get some on them.[/quote']

Coveralls FTW :D

And for that area, you'll need several cans of the Pond/Stone Foam

I'm going to use roughly 1 can per square foot of background area. So I'm going to have at least 15 cans on hand when we start. Then I can always add more structures later.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished up the spray foam on the intake for the closed loop and got the rest of the rock salt off last night and finished painting.

All I need to do now is get that large piece in the last picture secured and blended into the rest of the wall and a little more touch up paint.

Then its on to laying the concrete pad to level it out in the garage, then start plumbing it up :D

Consider dry rock. Check out marcorocks.com or bulk reef supply for good prices on dry rock. I think foam rock would defiantly be cheaper than live rock but it doesn't look as good in my opinion. Dry rock turns to live rock after 6 months and costs a third as much.

Does foam Rock Cost more then live rock ?
All depends on the type of tank your setting up :D "Live" Rock for my coldwater tank is anything but. Its so solid that the only life on it is literally on the surface. The foam rock wall I made in this tank will probably harbor more beneficial bacteria on it and in it than any rock I could harvest myself (laugh)

AquaticEngineer did the foam rock to replicate the local tide pool solid rock and granite. I think it came out quite well. One of the better Foam rocks builds I have seen. I have yet to see a reef tank that pulled this off though.

QFT. I did this in my coldwater tank because the aquascaping possiblitys are pretty minimal with the native granite rocks. So this will allow me to aquascape more vertically without trying to stack boulders on top of eachother. It also takes up far less space than stacking rock against the back, gives me more real estate to attach anemones and such to, and doesn't allow my fairly shy fish like my Sarcastic Fringehead to just hide under or behind a rock.

I also have yet to see a reef tank with a decent enough foam wall to make me want to copy it. Everything I did was based of of copying techniques used in public aquriums and zoos to make displays as opposed to the "Great Stuff and crushed coral" walls most people do in tropical tanks.

I figured it was worth a try since I got the tank for free, and I only spent $60 on spray foam. I've spent more on a single liverock for my tropcial tanks (laugh)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...