skimmer help

Dustin

so i have a couple q's about skimmers first im going to have a sump so do i need to have an "in sump" skimmer or can i use a HOB also r recurculating skimmers better than non basically i dont know a thing about them and i feel like rather than sifting through all of the contridictory info on the the numerous pages out there i wasa hoping for some insight from y'all also if anyone can explain in detail how they work id like to understand it thanks in advance

You do not need to have an in sump skimmer but it is nice in the event that a skimmer overflows it will most likely overflow in the sump and not your floor.

there is no evidence that a recirculating skimmer is better plus you would most likely need a second pump to feed the recirculating type or gravity feed it from your drain.

basicly all the junk and other organic gunk in your water will cling to the bubbles and end up in your skimmer cup.

I love skimmers and would recommend getting one that is rated for a tank 2 to 3 times the size tank you have. You cant really overskim and if you ever upgrade you"ll already have the equipment to handle a larger tank.

before you buy new or local you could also look on forums like reefcentral ( not a plug ) classifieds since there are lots of people selling great equipment for low low prices and most guys will ship. local forum classifieds are good too but some of the bigger ones just have more people selling.

That is some great advice you just got! I wish someone told me that when I started. I'm a big fan of Reef Octopus and SWC. Both offer the best bang for your buck in my opinion. Just keep it simple and stay away from all the bells and whistles.

Archived