LEAKS!

mister crabs

how do you seal a leaking bulkhead? I have teflon tape and paste.......did a FW test of my plumbing tonight and i had a steady trickle out of the drain bulkhead. any ideas? other than that my plumbing is solid and holding water......if i can get the bulkhead fixed tomorrow and the baffles in the sump i can get the real water in tomorrow night!! woohoo....FINALLY!

i have the silicone that i used for my overflow. will that work? I tried reseating the gasket and it seems to be right but still leaks. I was afraid when i drilled my hole that it may have been just a hair too large. food grade silicone grease? where do i get that at? and where exactly do i put the silicone at? in the little recessed tray area where the gasket seats? or around that where bulkhead hits glass? I think this is going to be a PITA because in all my excitement I forgot to put unions on my drain line....lol. maybe i can cut it and put one in tomorrow.....

i have the silicone that i used for my overflow. will that work? I tried reseating the gasket and it seems to be right but still leaks. I was afraid when i drilled my hole that it may have been just a hair too large. food grade silicone grease? where do i get that at? and where exactly do i put the silicone at? in the little recessed tray area where the gasket seats? or around that where bulkhead hits glass? I think this is going to be a PITA because in all my excitement I forgot to put unions on my drain line....lol. maybe i can cut it and put one in tomorrow.....

Restaurant supply or any skindiving shops.

I have seen 99.7% pure silicone grease at hardware stores. That would probably work just as well.

I just grease the whole gasket.

If the problem does turn out to be the drilled hole being too large, maybe use some putty like the type that is used for mounting sps frags.

*One thing I might add about silicone grease, is that it will extend the life of gaskets and O-Rings by helping prevent them from drying out. It will also revitalize old ones that are leaking until they can be replaced.

Teflon tape and paste is not going to help anything, sealing the threads useless you need to seal the gasket. I for one have never had a bulkhead leak to the point where I needed to glue with silicone or use grease. If it leaks, losen it, re-seat it and tighten back up.

like fly said, IMO if you over tighten it can cause a wrinkle in the gasket and cause a leak. Hand tighten as tight as you possibly can, or if its at a bad angle, use channel locks for the last 1/4 turn.

hth

yes the gasket is on the right side....i am only mildly retarded....LOL

the angle may be a factor.....i will check it....its an external durso setup with the elbow inside the overflow on the inside part of the bulkhead and the durso part on the outside going to a 45 degree elbow and then down into sump....i will post a pic if i can figure out how.

I just had the battle of the bulkhead leaks as well. First after I got my new tankset up and running it was the bulkhead in the sump leaking. Tightening it made it worse. I had to drain the sump and unhook the pump. I put2 gaskets. One on the wet side and one on the dry side. Hooked the pump back up re-filled the sump and it fixed it. Then I noticed a trickle comeing down the drain hose from one of the overflows. Worst spot possibel to have a leak! It wasen't seated right. Turned off the return, and loosend it and re seated it with a good twist and a few cuss words. It was a nightmare! It took the better part of my 2 days off to get the 125 moved and set back up, but now it is running and leak free.

ok so replaced the gasket with a new one, added one on outside threads, and made sure my pipe was completely vertical and not stressing the gasket and i still have a very slight leak. its like 1 drop every 60 to 90 seconds. any ideas? I know salt creep will fill it in eventually but how long will that take?

If you replaced the gasket with a new one, and added one on the nut side, lose the one on the nut side. Its not helping you, possibly even responsible for why its not sealing now.....i kind of doubt it, but maybe. They DO make bulkheads for high pressure applications with a gasket to be used on the nutside, but its a hard gasket, and a much burlier bulkhead overall

Have you inspected the bulkhead for damage?? Maybe you should have replaced the entire bulkhead.

A drip every minute should seal itself within a week, but that doesnt guarantee it will. Try taking off your extra gasket.

Hi, I am suffering the same problem with one of the five bulkheads on my new tanl the 1 1/2" I have been following this thred and have tried everything except the second gasket on the outside as I don't see how that could help. this may sound very dumb but as I was takeing the bulkhead apart one more time to clean and inspect for cracks (I thought I might have overtightend once) I noticed that the gasket was smooth on one side and had two raised rings on the other which side should face the glass of the tank? the smooth (which is the way it has been so far) or the ridged? or does it matter so far this is my fifth try and am getting frustrated the other four worked the very first try

Thanks fly guy I never took the fitting apart to look at the gasket befor just installed it the way it came, now am wondering about the other four trying to decide wheather to leve good enough alone or check them all before putting in live stock :)

Many times, adding silicone to the gasket just causes it to "squish" out from under the flange of the tank adapter, distort, and leak. You could try filling the space below the gasket around the free space between the glass and the bulkhead under the nut. This has worked for me once or twice. Ryan