Odyssea MH/T-5s

akambience

I have been looking into an Odyssea 48" MH fixture w/T-5s. I have read some terrifying reviews from some models from a few years ago. Ballasts melting and such. Nick at Rose City says that he sells a lot of them and hasn’t seen anything negative about them. Although he’s a salesman, from the research I have done online, there seems to be online consensus(as much as there can be) about the newer models being better designed and cooler ballasts and better fans. I would love to be able to invest in quality lights but T-5 and MH fixture combo is way out of our price range. Is there anyone here that owns a MH Odyssea fixture? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

If your not in a rush I would wait till you can find someone with a maristar from sunlight supply. I just sold mine not long ago for $400. Screaming deal for the owner and it had pheonix bulbs too. I think you pay about $329 or so for the 4ft fixture of the odyssea.

I read all those same reviews about them being bad... but they were also posted back 3+ years ago. From all the newer stuff I could find (2010-2011), they seem to have improved them some, no more magnetic ballasts. I have talked to some people that have been using them for the last couple years and have been successful. Some people have gone on to replace the ballast still, but I think the light casing is comparable to most of the other common lights out there.

Considering that the Aquaticlife R7S was the one I wanted: http://www.aquaticlife.com/hidR7S/index.html, but cost $1,000, I went ahead and gave the Odyssea one a try for $300. I have no reports yet as to it's performance or durability, but you're welcome to come over and see it in person if you like.

I used to have an odyssea and a fishneedit (same brand). I think Brad (reefnjunkie) used one for a long time with success.

They were working well for me. You get what you pay for, as usual.

If you are tight on the budget and in need for a fixture "right now", get it. They will work well.

But if you can wait and save some money, get something better. Light play a huge role in coral keeping, especially sps, if you are going that way.

I have a 216 watt ho t5 odyssea light with ati bulbs over my 55 gallon sps tank. I really like it, but I have never dealt with their metal halide lights. Here is my tank with the odyssea fixture.

516346171_photobucket_31948_.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have used this brand before and I never really had an issue with it other than getting new lights for them . The light they come with work pretty good but don't hold up as well as some of ther other brands (phoenix ....etc.. ) but I would say they work great & for the price u really can't beat that u can upgrade items as u go along .

Me too, I ran them with phoenix bulbs. You can try to contact Simon (the guy running aquatraders/fishneedit) or talk to Nick in order to get the fixture without bulbs (getting some discount) so that you can put some nice bulbs on it

I ran the same fixture for years, I upgraded the ballast to a 250 watt dual galaxy and after I did so I said "that was a waste of 235.00" I should have left it the way it was, oh well the new ballast has 5 year warranty

I would buy the fixture again.

I am presently selling (or will be listing it again) the same fixture with the upgraded ballast and phoenix bulbs-I also replaced the power compacts it came with to T5's-

Thats a great idea, I'll talk to Nick about getting a bulb-less fixture. I also assumed that the stock bulbs were rubbish. Philip(bluecheese) set me up with an MX 20k mogul bulb and it's nothing short of spectacular. Jeff: we would love to take you up on your offer. My wife is skeptical about the quality of the fixture for $300. Rightfully so, I was as well until I sat down and read 1700 reviews and forum posts about them. After everyone here shared promising experiences, i'm convinced to give them a try.

I used the 150W MH pendant light over my nano tank for about a year. I replaced the stock bulb with a phoenix 14K within two months of buying the fixture. I had good luck with it and no real complaints other than the build quality is not great, feels a little flimsy but for the price I can't complain too much. Like other people have said if you are on a budget it's probably worth picking one up and changing the bulbs. Good luck.

Archived