live rock question

mister crabs

(scratch) I have about 40 lbs of LR in a tub in my garage with a heater and a pump and some fw daylight bulbs over it. Its got miscellaneous shrooms and some worms ,snails, etc on it plus tons of corraline algae.

my question is about some LR that I have from my previous attempt at saltwater. I have about 20 lbs of previously live rock that is now dry and kinda bleached looking and basically devoid of life. Will this live rock leach anything out of it that will harm my new live rock? I want to use it as base rock in my new tank but dont want to cause any problems. thanks for your help.:D

(scratch) one more question.....is a 250w MH with a 14k bulb enough for a 40 gallon stretch hex? main display area is 18x24 and the tank is 24" deep. going to keep mostly softies and maybe an anemone up high (bta).:D

how was the rock stored? If it was not contaminated by anything (motor oil, pesticides, fertilizer, etc. from the garage) it is probably OK.

I would put it in a bucket/garbage can and bleach it (1 gal of bleach to 10 gal of water) to oxidize any residue that may be present. Then a couple (5 or 10) of drain/fill rinces to remove most of the bleach (until it does not smell like bleach anymore), and then a good dechlorinator to remove the rest (do it at least twice and let it soak for a day or two to be sure). After this treatment most organic residue will be gone. Good to go for base rock... It will look great after about 4 or 5 months.

Cheers :)