Water clarifiers?

akambience

What’s the consensus on water clarifiers? I moved my 55 gallon to a new tank on Sunday and it’s still cloudy. Well, its not that bad, hazy at worst… I have a few friends staying with us this week for a wedding, and I would like to show off the tank and it’s just not as clear as it was before the move. I’m running a ton of carbon and gfo through two 200 micron filter socks. (Double bag technique).

I would hate to use an additive thats not absolutely necessary; any suggestions?

there are several reef safe products that will clear up your water, they arent to be used regularly IMO, but i think you have a good excuse. if you are running carbon, then you should not have anything to worry about with the clarifiers.

just make sure to watch your ph, i suggest using a buffer in addition to the clarifier

When I was starting up the tank and put aragonite sand in it I used Clarify, no livestock in the tank. I had to change the filter sock every few hours but boy did it clear it up fast. It is "safe" per Seachem, but I have not used it with anything alive in the tank.

What’s the consensus on water clarifiers? I moved my 55 gallon to a new tank on Sunday and it’s still cloudy. Well, its not that bad, hazy at worst… I have a few friends staying with us this week for a wedding, and I would like to show off the tank and it’s just not as clear as it was before the move. I’m running a ton of carbon and gfo through two 200 micron filter socks. (Double bag technique).

I would hate to use an additive thats not absolutely necessary; any suggestions?

Skimmer and a big one, if you can borrow one. it would work like a charm but dont add water cleaifiers! these are chemicals (typically alum type) that bind to suspended matter and make heavy gelatenous precipitates that settle down! I would avoid then!

Set your skimmer a little wetter than normal, keep going with the carbon, and change filter socks like mad. Will clear up in a couple days. Stay away from clarifiers. I would venture to say if your company are not aquariusts they will not even notice. If they do explain what is happening. I personally would not jeapordize my live stock for an ego boost. JMHO!

You might look into Warner marines ultimate snow. Its not a clarifier but it does make water very clear. Its actually a snow product that makes the water very cloudy at first, then will result in crystal water. It kind of works like microscopic active carbon, its like a transportation device. You can actually mix something like amino acids with it, it "holds" the aminos and makes them the appropriate size to be eaten by corals. When added to a cloudy tank it binds to the detritus that is floating and will feed it to corals or help it get skimmed etc.

its a pretty unique and cool product, worth using for more than just cloudy water, thats just a bonus result!

Archived