Shadowbox background

madmike

So I have seen a relatively new background design implemented on a couple of tanks over on RC and decided to try to build one myself. The concept is pretty simple, a box about 4" or so deep behind the tank painted any color you prefer. You light the box from the top with the light facing towards the back of the box so it seems lighter towards the top and darker towards the bottom. You then put shapes into the box to imitate rocks off in the distance. cover the box with a piece of acrylic that you sand with aprox 1000 grit paper to create a "frosted look" and makes the shapes inside have a "softer" look, like they are off in the distance and not directly at the back of the tank.

For the box I used simple 1x4 pine boards you can buy at home depot. I built a simple frame slightly taller than the tank and the same width. I built it taller so the light would be above the tank so you couldn't see them. I used 1/8" fiber board as the back of the box. This is what the box looks like

shadow51of1.jpg

I then painted the inside a blue color, mounted the T5 lighting (you can use any type of lighting you want) and used velcro to attach the frosted acrylic cover on the front.

I am still experimenting with things to put inside, this is where your imagination can take over. You can put in fake rock, a shark in the distance, even a pirate ship if you want! The color can be tweaked by painting different colors or changing the bulb spectrum or aiming the reflector more towards the back (if you are using a reflector)

shadow31of1.jpg

I hung the box using the same griplock hardware that the ATI lighting comes with so it can easily be lifted up so I can still get behind the tank to clean the acrylic.

Overall it is a pretty easy project that doesn't cost alot, the wood is really cheap, most people have some VHO, pc, or T5 lighting laying around collecting dust. The mose expensive part was purchasing a piece of acrylic for the front.

shadow41of1.jpg

shadow11of1.jpg

Thanks guys' date=' you can get extremely creative with these... I wish they made a dimmable 80 watt T5 ballast so I could really play with the color/light intensity.[/quote']

Makes me wonder if this is a good case for low-power LED lights - those 1 watt bulbs. Then they could be easily dimmed, even automated to do sunrise/sunset along with your main display lighting.

Very cool. My dad owns a sign shop so I have been toying around with the idea of getting a custom backing for my tanks made for a while now...pretty much any picture would work, and it can just be stuck on like a sticker. The lighting of the background is a very sweet idea. Looks great, keep it up.

My dad owns a sign shop so I have been toying around with the idea of getting a custom backing for my tanks made for a while now

My friend cuts vinyl on a plotter he has and I have been thinking of having him cut a fake set of corals out and mounting them on some board, tracing around them and cutting them out to see what they would look like back there. I contacted ReefGeek and they have both 2x24w and 2x36 dimable T5 ballasts. I am currently running 2x80w T5s, but might switch out to 4 36 watt dimmables so I can ramp them up and down with my apex.

My friend cuts vinyl on a plotter he has and I have been thinking of having him cut a fake set of corals out and mounting them on some board' date=' tracing around them and cutting them out to see what they would look like back there. I contacted ReefGeek and they have both 2x24w and 2x36 dimable T5 ballasts. I am currently running 2x80w T5s, but might switch out to 4 36 watt dimmables so I can ramp them up and down with my apex.[/quote']

Dude sometimes you scare me(scary)....(laugh) You truly are a mad scientist!:p(clap)

My friend cuts vinyl on a plotter he has and I have been thinking of having him cut a fake set of corals out and mounting them on some board' date=' tracing around them and cutting them out to see what they would look like back there. I contacted ReefGeek and they have both 2x24w and 2x36 dimable T5 ballasts. I am currently running 2x80w T5s, but might switch out to 4 36 watt dimmables so I can ramp them up and down with my apex.[/quote']

That could look really cool!

Archived