My DIY fermentation chamber

impur

I made this for fermenting my homebrews. It depends on the style, but most homebrew ales needs to ferment at a temp ranging from 50 to 65 and needs to be constant. Fluctuations or too high temp result in off flavors in the beer. And lagers need to ferment even lower, around 45-55. So in an effort to cut costs i picked up this small cube dorm fridge off craigslist for $25. I'm going to control it with an HVAC thermostat that i will turn into a temp controller. That is the last part of my build, i hope to have the temp controller done this week.

5bd34d9d.jpg

Door off and 6gal carboy for measuring

DSCN3800.jpg

1" styro insulation

DSCN3801.jpg

Since i'm going to put this under one of my workbenches in the garage, and because the access is thru the top, i decided to built a platform and put casters on it to make it easier to move around

DSCN3803.jpg

DSCN3804.jpg

DSCN3805.jpg

I put a strip of weather stripping on each end of the styro. This is the bottom

DSCN3806.jpg

DSCN3807.jpg

DSCN3808.jpg

I plugged it in and let it run for about 2 hrs. My thermometer read 40 degrees when i checked on it. I think this will work just fine. I'm also going to add a small computer fan to circulate the cool air inside the chamber. I'll have more pics of the temp controller later this week.

I added a 6.5gal carboy filled with water and a thermometer to see how cold i could get it.

3c5c5c63.jpg

Water temp started at 55. After 24 hours it was down to 48, i then added a small cpu fan wired to a wall wart and pointed it at the fridge controls, this brought the water temp to 46 in about an hour. I was worried about running a 160mA fan with a 100mA wall wart so i didn't run it any longer than an hour or so. This morning the water temp is 40!!!! Just awesome, looks like i'll be able to do lagers in this baby (rock2)

Rick do it!! Do it!!! Do it!!! (laugh)

The water in the carboy got down to 37 before i decided that was good enough of a test and unplugged it. I am very satisfied with building this and its going to work for brewing anything i want. Of course the summer temps will test it again, but i can't imagine it won't get cold enough to ferment ales.

Now i just need some free time to brew the Maibock i've got ready to go.......

Cool Miles!

What does you brewery setup look like now? You were just starting when I was last active in the club.

You did not enter any beers in our homebrew competition coming up this weekend so I will be unable to taste... When should we get together and swap beers?

My brewery setup is still portable. I store it in a closet and my garage when not in use, but here it is toward the end of a brew day

97182b82.jpg

Kegerator

e87b5b9d.jpg

I want to go attend some local meetings and get involved in the local brew club soon, are you a member of one? Where/when is your homebrew competition?? I'd love to swap some brews, i need to get a decent batch done first though. I've had trouble with esters due to inconsistent fermentation temps, which is why i built this.

I got the temp probe done on my thermostat

Thermistor removed and wires soldered to board - i used telephone wire. Sorry for the crappy pics

2f1cadaf.jpg

dda87e6b.jpg

Thermistor at the end of the wire

e3015731.jpg

Routed thru slots on bottom of the thermostat

6ecc61e8.jpg

Done. Now i just have to open it back up and switch it to Fahrenheit

35e0d131.jpg

Our club, Heart of the Valley Homebrewers [hotv (dot) org], is based out of Albany & Corvallis. Competition is this Friday PM and Saturday AM in Albany. You could come and judge if you wish. Check out Cascade Brewers in Eugene.

We teach and hold an exam for Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) every year. Lots of drinking DOH! um... studying...tasting... to configure your palette. Lots of other beer style knowledge to learn also.

Looks like you are using a manifold in a cooler for your mash tun and a immersion chiller. Did that for years and it works great.

Esters can be from a variety of things, yeast being the largest. Most ales keep you fem. temp between 60 and 64F. Oxygenate and shake the carboys twice a day for the first 2 days to keep the yeast in suspension. that alone will really clean up your flavors.

I am managing the club brew days at Rogue Chatoe and we will be brewing there again in about 3-4 weeks. Let me know and you can come and party help.

Cool yah i'll try to make that it would be fun!

Yah i use a cpvc manifold in the cooler and IC. I use my turkey fryer for a HLT, and i've got a 8gal tamale steamer pot for my BK.

I think my brews have been hitting 65 and a little higher, which i've read is where the esters flavors come in due to the yeast. I have not tried shaking the carboys the first 2 days, but that makes sense and can't hurt. Thanks for the info!

Cool yah i'll try to make that it would be fun!

Yah i use a cpvc manifold in the cooler and IC. I use my turkey fryer for a HLT, and i've got a 8gal tamale steamer pot for my BK.

I think my brews have been hitting 65 and a little higher, which i've read is where the esters flavors come in due to the yeast. I have not tried shaking the carboys the first 2 days, but that makes sense and can't hurt. Thanks for the info!

Finished up the temp controller and put the fermentation chamber to work over the weekend. I brewed up my first lager, AHS Anniversary Maibock :)

Relay

DSCN3834.jpg

Drilled some holes in the cover plate to mount the thermostat and for wires

ebddbda9.jpg

I'm just using the cooling part for now

DSCN3837.jpg

Power supply

DSCN3836.jpg

Power to the relay

DSCN3833.jpg

Power to be switched by relay and power for other receptacle socket

DSCN3838.jpg