Does anyone here dive?

JonBoy

I've been thinking about getting into diving and wanted to get others input before i start investing into another expensive hobby, im going to try and make a trip to hawaii january and i want to be certified by then but am also thinking of maybe spear fishing.

Yes!!!! Wish I was abel to still aford it . Also I am kind of spoiled I lived in the fl keys

At the time I was in the hobey .

I my self can not do could water eaven in the keys. I would use a 1 mil to 2 mil wet sut

Lol. If given I chance do not pass it up .you can rent all the equment you nead by the

Day and. If the shops out this are like the one I went to to get my owpady card at

They will have in the pool after just a few hr of class .you will know rt ayay if it is fore you

there is nothing like it. you feel like a very bulky fish, but you are neutrally buoyant none the less. i love the diving, even the stuff just around the area, like octopus pits in hoodsport. it is worth getting dry suit certified... i admit it.

i suggest PADI over NAUI, but maybe that is just me.

and as for your certification dive, you can get it done locally, or be deferred to hawaii.... but if you learn how to stay in control in this water, you are already well ahead of many warm water divers, and for that reason i highly recommend cold water diving to begin, you will find better dive instructors and more educating experiences.

most shops will do saturday classes etc.

it cost me about 500 buck, and it was really worth it.

just google a local shop, and read the reviews. there are definitely shops you want to avoid, and ones that are great...

My wife and I are certified and we love it. Now granted we don't cold water dive much but the tropical area's are incredible. There is nothing like being down with the fish in the reefs. There are a couple schools of thought, one is to just get your certification before you go. The second option is to get all your classwork and pool work done locally and then get your referral to do your open water dives in hawaii. The up side is that your open water dives are in hawaii and not in the cold water but the down side is that you will waste 4 dives in hawaii getting your certification instead of actually enjoying yourself on the dives. My recommendation would to just tough it out and finish your certification here and enjoy yourself once you're there.

I love diving and go warm water diving at least twice a year. If I lived closer to seattle I would dive more here too. I say jump in and get wet!

Most dive shops offer a entro to diving go check it out.

Here are some of the reasons why i love diving

DivingCozumelNov04098.jpg

BahamasDiving2005098.jpg

BahamasDiving2005142.jpg

fulltankshots001.jpg

well never actually dove in the last pic but got my arms wet!

Nice thaks for the responses and pictures im probably going to do the certification here and im kinda checking out some different shops to see what they offer. Does anyone recommend owning you own BC and regulators and just rent the tank and weights or just rent it all? Nothing will probably happen until this fall when work slows down again but I just want to be ready for when the time comes.

I would watch out with buying your own gear. There is the "single guy syndrome". It is where a single guy goes out and buys some very expensive equipment and 2 years later there it is on Craigslist a huge loss. Getting a mask and fins is good idea. Trying to continually clear an ill fitting mask is an irritant.

The experience of diving is just incredible! Words cannot do it justice. The first time you dive you will truly be awestruck. You can easily burn through a tank because it is such a strange experience and you have not learned how to regulate your breathing. My certification was $25 and included 2 open water dives in Santa Cruz and Monterrey. That was a couple of years ago.

Im a PADI certified wreck diver. I learned in the nice cool waters of the Puget Sound! Pretty cool stuff up there, biggest anemones i have ever seen! I have also been diving in Cancun MX, Jamaica, Samoa, Fiji, and Baja MX

Archived