What is your current lighting setup?

sknoch78

I am curious what everyone is using and how happy they are with it.

My setup is currently 3 250w DE PFO mini pendants with Phoenix 14k bulbs being fired by Ice Cap ballasts. I also have two 6' actinics running.

I have this over my 72x30x26 tank. Initially I was happy with it, but I have for a while felt it was a little dim. I am seriously thinking of scrapping the whole setup and going with 400w radiums fired by PFO HQI ballasts.

I am just curious what others are using.

I am running dual 400w non-hqi SE XM's on PFO ballast. I am very happy with this set up. I came to this set up, by talking about with Travis at Upscales. He suggested the set up and well, we all have seen his cube. He told me not to go with HQI since my tank is not more then 30", he says there is no need and hates replacing bulbs every 5-6 months with HQI.

As people know I had an 8 lamp tek fixture over my tank. The halides give much more pop to the corals and they all seem to be doing better. I am considering adding some retro t-5's for running longer photo periods with less halide running time. Plus, rumor is tanks look really good with halide t-5 combos.

I would recommend these bulbs and set up to anyone...I am not saying t-5's can grow coral, they can and they do very well. It just comes down to preference.

What reflector are you using?

I am thinking of using the Luminarcs.

Lumenarcs, are great reflectors and the best chioce...I am just using an off the shelf parabolic reflector, since my tank is only 20"tall...

Eventually I will get lumenarc mini's...but the ones I have work great for right now.

I'm using 8 54w T5's overdriven with Icecap 660 ballasts (82w each), with Icecap SLR reflectors, the whole canopy is cooled with 3 120mm fans. Works great so far but I'm now considering going with 2 400w PFO setup (similar to reefgeeks) with the lumerarcs and T5 actinics. Not sure why exactly for the change, I miss the shimmer from the MH. The only thing I'm not sure about it I've got some of the best color I have ever had now under T5's, so its kind of a hard choice.

I'm running 2x175W 10k MH, using Hamilton ballasts (one is magnetic, the other electronic) supplemented with a 110W VHO actinic. One of these days I'm going to swap out the magnetic ballast for another Hamilton electronic. I'm thinking about adding a second VHO actinic, but haven't made up my mind yet -- space is tight in my canopy as it is and I'm not sure I really need it

I have a 6-54w TEK T5 fixture on my 75gal. I love the flexibility it give me for colors, the reduced power bill, reduced heat, and longer life of these T5s. Plus they are freaking bright!!! I'm getting some really good growth on my SPS, comparable to the 250w MH i previously used.

Guest Mbeef61

on my 5 foot 100 gallon im using...2x250 halide with hamilton 14k bulbs and a 175 halide over centerbrace with hamilton 14k also...along with 3x110 watt uri vho ran off a icecap430. one bulb is day light other 2 are super actinic..

i really like the look of my tank. it has a nice super white look....and the actinic vhos make everything pop. i really like it but always want more...its just so expensive to run

I'm running a dual 400w HQI system with 20k helios bulbs. Supplemented by 4 110w vho bulbs, 3 actinic and 1 50/50. this is sitting over a 5foot 100 gallon tank.

I ran radiums before the helios and i'm thinking of going back to radiums. The Helios are very similar to the radiums but have read that they are unpredictable, (same bulbs being different looking), and are hard to come by, (with them being back-ordered alot).

Overall I'll will eventually go back to radiums on this system.

This may help you out

tank size 72"x26"x30"

Light 3x400 watt hqi radiums

2x72" VHO super atinics.

reflectors lumax? I forget what there called from sunlight supply

here is a pic of the reflector

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/ranran/New%20Tank%20Build/NewTankBuild009.jpg

here are all three installed in the canopy i put them on sliders to ajust were i want them and to get them out of my way for maintenance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/ranran/New%20Tank%20Build/NewTankBuild030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/ranran/New%20Tank%20Build/NewTankBuild032.jpg

i use 2 icecap 250w se 10k xm on my 40 breeder. same on 1 of my frag tanks 48x24x10 then 2 150W phoenix on other frag tank thats 2 20L's dont ask. and have 8 54w t-5s for another frag tank that just havent had time to setup which is also a 48x24x10, and 2 t-5's over my broodstock tanks and another 150w hqi phoenix over my growouts dont ask on that either. reflectors are spiders on the icecaps and pci on the phoenixs and nothing on my t-5's. im thinking of going to 250w de phoenix's on all tanks with the icecap pendents. just havent got the money yet.

3- 250w Icecap elec. and 15k xms on my 225

2- 250 w Icecap elec and 15k xms with 2 110 vho actinics on the 90

Ive been using these bulbs for a long time and love the color.....I know the par sucks but i get good growth out of them..........ive been shopping recently for a bulb change though......think next bulbs will be Hamilton 14k's. No intention or need to go to different wattage IMO

Randy, do you havve a tank shot? Are you glad you went with the 400's or do you think it is overkill?

I am almost positive this is the route I want to go.

With my tank being 30" deep 400 watt was my only thought for lamps. If I had unlimeted buget/power and a 1 hp chiller i would of put 6-400 watt on my tank. I am happy with my over all lighting plan.