Skimmerino: arduino controlled skimmer

grassi

So skimmer overflowing has always been one of my fears.

I've seen a few amazing tanks crash for a skimmer.

I used to have some sort of control with the Apex, but I decided to go to the next level with some I/O programming on the Arduino board.

I set up 2 float switches:

one in the sump: if the level raise for whatever reason the skimmer power is cut off

one on the bucket that collect the skimmer production: when it is empty the power is cut off as well. I also put a carbon filter for the smell on the lid. I know you can do the bucket thing mechanically, but programming I/O boards if somehow fun

IMG_6574.JPG

IMG_6575.jpg

Here is the code for who is interested or has a ReefAngel running.

Just use the 2 ato switches as single and add this code in the "loop":

if ( ReefAngel.HighATO.IsActive() && ReefAngel.LowATO.IsActive() )

{

ReefAngel.Relay.On(Port1);

}

else ReefAngel.Relay.Off(Port1);

Sorry to hear that Kim. When the giga clam spawned I found 10 gallons of skimmate and clam's eggs on the floor!

If you want we can setup the same thing I have for you. I think the cost of the parts is about $50

Next think I'm gonna add is an alarm when I'm low with ca, alk or Mg in the reservoirs :)

Sorry to hear that Kim. When the giga clam spawned I found 10 gallons of skimmate and clam's eggs on the floor!

If you want we can setup the same thing I have for you. I think the cost of the parts is about $50

Next think I'm gonna add is an alarm when I'm low with ca, alk or Mg in the reservoirs :)

I would love that. Not sure what happened. The skimmer just went nuts 2 days ago and we don't know why (no dead fish) and Beth found the acrylic tray filled with lovely skimmate.

Kim, I'll put one together for you when I come back from the old world :)

Brad, with my water volume, if I did the math well, my salinity would go down from 1.026 to 1.025 if I pour 12.5 gallons of freshwater and I take off the same amount of saltwater. So 7 gallons aren't an issue.

And it will take some time to mix up because the freshwater is a few degrees lower than the one in the tank. So it will stay in the bottom of the sump for a while.

But I have to double check the math.. not sure if I did it well