High Phosphates....

Frank

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using vodka/vinegar mix. People who use it say that it is a little less prone to cause cyano. Read the vodka distilled article in reefkeeping magazine

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

It has good recommendations and starting points for vodka. Vodka is essentially 8 times more potent than vinegar so for every 1ml of vodka you will need to put in 8ml of vinegar to equal the same amount of carbon source.

Distilled white vinegar is pretty cheap for a gallon from the grocery store so I just mix a gallon of vinegar with about 1000ml of 80 proof vodka and set my dosing pumps to deliver the daily dose. I have worked up to about 200ml daily over a couple of months in my aprox 500 gallon system.

The jury is still out on whether MB7 or any other bacterial supplementation is really doing anything. They might work if somehow you didn't have the "correct" denitrifying strain of bacteria, but no one really knows exactly which ones are the best.... For as many people who claim success with a bacterial additive/carbon source, there are equally enough people who have had success without the bacterial additive, just the carbon source. I tried some MB7 initially when I started carbon dosing but after having a few small bacterial blooms, I realized that there were PLENTY of bacteria in the system to uptake the carbon source.

When Ryan came out he told me he is doing MB7 and vodka and he is almost at zero... I did just find out that I was under doesing the Bio fuel but at the rate it would just cost to much... In the whole time I have been using both of them I have had no problems with any kinda of blooms. On another note down to .08 on the po4...

Frank,

If you are going to go with Vodka, go SLOW! I used the dosing recommendations from the link Mike provided, but I ramped the Vodka up at about half of the rate the chart shows. I think its important to go slow, and allow your tank to adjust to the lower nitrates. I have also not seen a hint of cyano, which I think has a lot to do with going slow on the Vodka.

Here is what I did for 100 gallons (I started out with 13.2ppm N & .12 p):

Week 1: .80 ML

Week 2: 1.20 ML

Week 3: 1.60 ML

Week 4: 2.00 ML (started to see Nitrates fall in week 4, so I left it at 2.00 ML to see if the would continue to fall at the same dosage)

Week 5: 2.00 ML

Week 6: 2.40 ML

I started to see my nitrates fall at week 4. Im now at less then 1.1ppm (according to my LaMotte Nitrate Kit). I suspect I'll be at zero Nitrates after I test next week. Once I get to "zero", I'll probably dose 2.4 ML for another week, then cut the dose in half and maintain at 1.2 ML per day.

I also dose at the exact same time every day. I dose when I get home from work when the lights are still on, and PH is at its highest. I read somewhere that carbon dosing can lower the tank PH temporarily. I have no idea if its factual or not, but it seems to be working alright for me.

When I started MB7/Vodka, I followed Sonnys (from reef2reef). You can read more here: http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/41018-microbacter7-vodka-dosing-guide.html

hmmm...at only dosing once per week, I would start from the beginning. You probably aren't getting much benefit from dosing weekly anyway. I would do a cap per day for 2 weeks, then drop to 6 drops per day. Then again, for all we know, MB7 is nothing more then magical snake oil.

If I were you, I would start do the following since your TWV is roughly 150g:

Week 1: 1.2ml daily

Week 2: 1.8ml daily

Week 3: 2.4ml daily

Week 4: 3.0ml daily

I would check Nitrates every week once you get the LaMotte Test Kit. I would increase the vodka every week by .6ml until you start to see the Nitrates drop. Once you get to zero nitrates, I would cut the vodka in half. ONCE AGAIN, this is only what I would do. Please read the link Mike provided, and the link I provided and make you own determination on what you should dose. It is also important that you are extremely consistent with it. It's something that you have to dedicate to, its not something you should do for a month then slack off on.

So here is the update the phosphates are hanging at .05 cant get it lower than that..

So getting ready to start the MB7/ vodka doesing...

Will start with to 10ml of MB7 for 2 week then going to

Week 1: 1.2ml daily

Week 2: 1.8ml daily

Week 3: 2.4ml daily

Week 4: 3.0ml daily

Test ket should be here next week...

ok i was looking at bio pellets and its soppose to do the same, have you looked in to it???? im new to the vodka/bio pellets i have been reading alot about it. Im not there yet since my tank is small but im hoping to have a big tank in my next place and i want to do it right.