Auto top off

Bicyclebill

OK, I'm interested to hear what people are using (and would recommend) for auto top off. I'm looking to run my RO direct to my sump. For the last 10 years I've been using a highly modified 2.5G plastic gas can that works remarkably well, but it stll needs to be filled once a week or so.

My sump is gravity fed from a bucket to a float valve. The bucket is filled from a electric solenoid that turns on the water to the RO/DI unit twice a day to a float valve in the bucket. The solenoid is controlled by the AquaIII

So guys, am I being too ultra paranoid and buying into the hype that you need to have quadruple redundancy with fancy this and that to do this? It seems like a simple good quality float valve will do the job, considering the RO system has an additional shutoff valve built in to close off when the pressure backs up enough from the main float valve/

So guys' date=' am I being too ultra paranoid and buying into the hype that you need to have quadruple redundancy with fancy this and that to do this? It seems like a simple good quality float valve will do the job, considering the RO system has an additional shutoff valve built in to close off when the pressure backs up enough from the main float valve/[/quote']

The RO units from BRS have shut offs so you can hook it up direct with a float valve. I've always preferred the bucket, if something failed I'd only be looking at a couple gallons. I'm always making up salt water other RO water needs so I like to be able to turn on/off switch lines etc

Swann, I've got the BRS unit. I was thinking I could tee into the discharge line to fill my 40g reservoir and also my sump. This should work shouldn't it? I know the water will take the path of least resistance, but at 75gpd my reservoir should fill quick enough after a water change to not affect my sump level don't you think?

In the 5 years that I had my 180 gallon set up, I had my RO/DI plumbed directly into my sump with a float valve and I also had it "t'd" to go to a rubbermaid brute trash can with a float valve for fresh water for making salt water...I used the john guest Ts that also had a shut off lever on them. whenever I did a water change I simply shut off the valve that went to the sump so fresh water would not go flowing into the sump while I was doing the water change... then just turned it back in the on position when finished. VERY SIMPLE and NOT ONE TIME did I have any mishaps with this set up. Going to do this again with my new 120. No pumps, no electricity, no problems.