Overflow and return pump question

TheGooseWhisperer

This is for a 29g with a 10g sump...

I am getting an overflow that is rated for 600 GPH (CPR CS90 HOB). I want to get an internal pump with the hope that I can still squeeze some sort of small ATO into the cabinet.

What are your recommendations for a return pump (brand and flow)? Should I get an oversized pump and throttle it down with a valve or get one that I will be sure wont flow too fast for the CPR and run it wide open? I have an MJ900 and a koralia (rated >1200L/hr) and feel like the flow in the tank is good, but wouldnt mind increasing it to allow for the possibility of adding a couple easier SPS colonies later. What do you recommend for the return line? The stand is a typical height and the return line will be going up over the top of the tank (so about 4.5 ft max height).

I have a 700gph Glass-Holes.com overflow on my 40b with 20L sump and I am using a Mag 7 as my return, with a height of 3-4 feet your probably going to loose at least 100-150gph having to push the water that high, I am guessing I am in the 500gph range right now...as I have two returns and it splits, so I am guessing that reduces it some more. I was going to go a little bigger, but figured its enough for the sump/refugium and I don't want to push too much water, the Mag 7 I think is a safe gph, at least in my opinion. Its a pretty quite pump, and seems to get pretty good reviews.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?category=Danner_Mag_Drive_Supreme_Water_Pump_Up_to_500_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible_Water_Pumps&vendor=Danner_Mfg.&idProduct=DN1111&IdCategory=FIWPSBUF&child=DN1125&tab=1&size=7%20(700%20gph)

Hopefully others will chime in, I have heard good things about Ehiem pumps as well, but they seem a little bulky, where the Mag 7 is not super huge, at least to me it isn't.

Best of luck with your setup...

This is for a 29g with a 10g sump...

I am getting an overflow that is rated for 600 GPH (CPR CS90 HOB)

You should drill that baby....and get a Glass-Holes.com 700gph overflow, I was totally freaked out drilling my 40b, but once I did it it was a peice of cake, super easy....

The CPR overflow is what $90-$100? The Glass-Holes.com Overflow is only $79.00 and comes with everything you need to drill it (other than the actual drill, but it has the glass hole bit to drill the hole) Its super easy, looks really nice, and to me its safer than relying on suction or syphon. Just a thought....

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-complete-kit-gh700kit.htm

I agree about drilling an overflow. When I had a glass tank with CPR overflow, I was constantly working to keep the air bubbles out of it. With my acrylic and drilled overlow, I never even think about it. That's not your question though. I'm one of the rare ones (evidently) that has had good luck with Rio pumps (I'd suggest a2100), but I've been running an Ocean Runner 2500 for the last 5 years with zero issues for my return.

• 2 weeks later...

Change of plans on this...currently working towards getting a 10g sump onto the 29g on the cheap/easy. Then its build time on a drilled 40b, using my current 29g for the sump and toying with a 10g (or 20L) display refugium ontop of the canopy. I'm gunna pretty much grab a decent submersible for now that could possibly be a feed for the refugium later.