shrimp/goby pairs

cellowithgills

I've decided that I really like my shrimp/goby pair and I thought well, why not go a little crazy with it? So I've got a couple of questions:

1) How many types of shrimp and gobies will pair (give names)? I've got a Randell's pistol shrimp and a prawn goby pair. I know also know about Watchman's, Yasha's, as well as tiger pistol shrimp. But what other types are pairable?

2) How many pairs can be kept in a tank? If there are multiple pairs per tank would they kill each other?

3) Would multiple gobies pair with a single shrimp? Or the way around, multiple shrimp with one goby?

I know a pistol shrimp and watchman go together. I had a pair for about a year.

My watchman goby doesn't really stay in one "den". He's dug a network of trenches under all 3 large pieces of LR in my 29g. I see him popping out from one end of the tank to the other. I would totally be interested in a pistol shrimp, but is this a less than ideal situation for adding one to my tank?

My watchman goby doesn't really stay in one "den". He's dug a network of trenches under all 3 large pieces of LR in my 29g. I see him popping out from one end of the tank to the other. I would totally be interested in a pistol shrimp' date=' but is this a less than ideal situation for adding one to my tank?[/quote']

I would say you're safe as long as the shrimp can't fit in the goby's mouth.

There a couple things to consider. Firstly the gobys can definitely show aggression to one another, so I advise against a watchmen as they are particularly aggressive. I have kept the prawn goby with a high fin banded goby and had no problems. The yasha is another peaceful goby that should do well. Multiple gobys can share a burrow, I know nick at rose city told me he had 12 prawn gobys share burrow with one shrimp. The second consideration is how much sand you want your shrimp to move. With a randells you are going to have far less sand moved than with a tiger pistol shrimp. I have never kept a randells with a tiger for fear of the tiger which is much larger eating the randells. I have heard many complain about the target pistol shrimp, so I would avoid that one. Hope that helps :-)

so It depends how big your tank is... Under fifty gallons Id say one of each.. the only pistol shrimp I know that wont pair up is the bullseye pistol shrimp.. You you get a mated pair of fish than one shrimp can have two gobys.. if not they will fight to the death.. I have tried this, thinking it was ok... the coby is often everywhere in my tank so if you think you have enough you, believe me they dig and go everywhere.. If you get a breeded pair of shrimp you can get away with two shrimp...

Gobys and shrimp are territorial.. I have many... Id say if your tank is over 100 gallons id get two shrimp... if you get a smaller shrimp like the randal you can sometimes get away with two in a tank, but even in my 40 gallon tank my randal is everywhere... but they are great for my sand.. and I know I only see him every two months but he does a great job

I see my tiger pistol shrimp alot a couple times a day. but my candy stipper only about once a month.. but he is alot smaller... but I do hear both of them clicking, and I see their tunnels.

I have found that if I feed the tank where I want to see them , they will often house there