What to do with Coral Beauty

NoobtoSalt

Alright well I just got this fish last night, and when I put it in the tank right away my clowns started to pick on it. I got the fish to the otherside of the tank and it was doing fine after that. I asked the other day before I got it if it picked on anything and they said no. Well I just got home a little bit ago and I found it picking at some of my zoas!!(flame)

So low and behold it is now in the 120. As of right now I will more than likely not keep this fish. I was looking forward to having it but wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for me. I realize that these angels are mostly reefsafe but still need to be watched. The concern is why would it start to pick at stuff in my tank and not in the other person's tank for 2 years??(scratch)

Did the other person have a bigger tank? My guess is it probably did pick at things in the other person's tank and maybe they didn't notice? I only saw my hippo tangs pick at my acans once but as soon as I got them out of there the acans puffed up and expanded and look great.

I know a lot of people have flame angels and coral beauties and have never had trouble with them but I just won't risk it after not having much luck with these type of fish.

I have one, he has been very well behaved. My theory was just to make sure he was well fed. Xrayguy (Ryan) came over to my house this weekend. Right as I was saying what a great fish and how well behaved it was, we watched it pick on my new favia. GRRRRR. I'm just keeping an eye on it for now since we're hoping it was just inspecting the new coral that had not been in the tank for 12 hours yet.

Maybe yours was stressed from the move...? I'm sorry, they are beautiful fish.

No angel is reef safe' date=' especially with zoas. Sometimes an angel will be a model citizen for months and then all of a sudden start picking at your corals for no reason.[/quote']

I realize that. My concern was that the person said it had not picked at anything for 2 years. Why all of a sudden now?

I have one, he has been very well behaved. My theory was just to make sure he was well fed. Xrayguy (Ryan) came over to my house this weekend. Right as I was saying what a great fish and how well behaved it was, we watched it pick on my new favia. GRRRRR. I'm just keeping an eye on it for now since we're hoping it was just inspecting the new coral that had not been in the tank for 12 hours yet.

Maybe yours was stressed from the move...? I'm sorry, they are beautiful fish.

Sharole - Have you and Eddie seen him picking at stuff any other times since I was over there?

Jesse - I had a coral beauty for about 4 months and it was good most of the time, but once in a while it would nip at corals but it never did any damage to them. As far as it getting along with fish, mine fought with my dragon goby I had and it constantly was chasing a couple of anthias I had (I got rid of the coral beauty when that was going on).

If this is the one that you got from Colton. I never saw it pick at anything and never had any damaged corals in the two years I had him. It could be stress related or he could be grabbing some little pod that is hanging out amongst you zoo's. Hard to say. I would make sure he is well fed for a couple days though and keep an eye on him.

Doug

If this is the one that you got from Colton. I never saw it pick at anything and never had any damaged corals in the two years I had him. It could be stress related or he could be grabbing some little pod that is hanging out amongst you zoo's. Hard to say. I would make sure he is well fed for a couple days though and keep an eye on him.

Doug

Yeah it was the same one. Thanks Doug. It also had Ich so not sure if it was just stressed or what. I just thought it was odd that it was picking at polyps after you mentioned that it didn't before. No worries either way it is what it is. I just don't want it in my tank with all of the corals I have. More than likely it will be either traded in to a LFS once it is healthy or traded/sold on the boards.

sorry man! i never saw it go after anything. but i did not have it in a full reef tank just with a few softie's maybe it was just eating algae and missed and got a zoa. i have seen fish in the pass do that. sorry its not working out for you man.

No worries. You live and learn. I know everyone wants to think it wasn't picking at the zoa but it was definately the polyps and not any algae. But I knew this could be a possibly that's why I had asked about it before I got the fish from you as well.

I have a CB and it picks at almost everything except my corals It also had a bit of ich as well' date=' but a cleaner shrimp and garlic have kept him clear. That sucks though man, I'd keep him fat and happy and give him a little more time and see what he does.[/quote']

Well as of right now I won't trade/sell a fish with Ich so it will stay in the 120 for at least a week or so to clear it up. This is just going to put things back a little for me to get the rest of the transfer over to the new tank.

Often time fish that were fine in one tank will change habits in another. I have a CB that i have had since i first got into this hobby and have not seen it pick on softies. I know mine does eat copepods. These fish can nip at clam mantels as well just another reason to not have a angel fish in the tank. I had a bad encounter with a flame angel once that ate about $70.00 worth of high end zoa's in about 3 days. So i will never put another angel into my reef again. I have heard that the bellus angel is reef safe, as nice as the female is i just dont think i could take a chance with candy apple red's in my tank now.

Often time fish that were fine in one tank will change habits in another. I have a CB that i have had since i first got into this hobby and have not seen it pick on softies. I know mine does eat copepods. These fish can nip at clam mantels as well just another reason to not have a angel fish in the tank. I had a bad encounter with a flame angel once that ate about $70.00 worth of high end zoa's in about 3 days. So i will never put another angel into my reef again. I have heard that the bellus angel is reef safe' date=' as nice as the female is i just dont think i could take a chance with candy apple red's in my tank now.[/quote']

Yeah it's even worse when you have captain americas, purple hornets, aussie pe's, etc...(laugh) For now it's hiding in the new tank but it won't be there for long either. I may catch it and put it in the sump till I decide what I want to do with it.