My new Clam! (Pics)

Bigjohnwoody

So I ended up buying another Clam. I know I said I was gonna wait but I did a lot of research and talked with three different people at ORA about maxima clams. I decided after research and talking with ORA that I would try my hand at it again. This time with a clam that was not delayed a day in asnow storm. So I ordered another clam from liveaquaria with my gift card money I got for Christmas. A couple things I thought I would share that ORA told me are that clams over 1.5 inches do not require supplemental feeding to survive they can live by light alone. It is encouraged to feed to help them grow faster but not essential in survival. Also all a clam requires is a cycled tank. They do not need a well established system just a tank that is not going through a cycle. This is a basic rundown of what I heard and read. So most of all I was just excited to show some pics. I have had the clam since Tuesday and these are pictures from about 10 minutes ago. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=10784&d=1298262052

attachment.php?attachmentid=10785&d=1298262064

attachment.php?attachmentid=10786&d=1298262074

After extensive water testing jury is still out on what did my clam in... My best theory is when I dropped in some pellet food for the shrimps one landed on his mantle. Then one of the fish picked at him. I had seen this happen with him before but no damage to him. He looked happy(since week before christmas). Untill last Thursday I notice him slightly closed, and a tiny hole in his mantle. Called around to a couple LFS Friday. Was gonna take a water sample(to double check my test kits) and the clam to Westside. Untill I could figure out what to do. Got home Friday from work and his mantle was torn open wide. He was still alive but died within the hour. His empty shell weighed over 1 pound and was 8+ inches long. He wasnt the prettiest clam but he was a fun creature and a gift from my girlfriend. RIP sorry for the sad story. Needless to say It will be a while before I try my hand at clams again.

After extensive water testing jury is still out on what did my clam in... My best theory is when I dropped in some pellet food for the shrimps one landed on his mantle. Then one of the fish picked at him. I had seen this happen with him before but no damage to him. He looked happy(since week before christmas). Untill last Thursday I notice him slightly closed' date=' and a tiny hole in his mantle. Called around to a couple LFS Friday. Was gonna take a water sample(to double check my test kits) and the clam to Westside. Untill I could figure out what to do. Got home Friday from work and his mantle was torn open wide. He was still alive but died within the hour. His empty shell weighed over 1 pound and was 8+ inches long. He wasnt the prettiest clam but he was a fun creature and a gift from my girlfriend. RIP sorry for the sad story. Needless to say It will be a while before I try my hand at clams again.[/quote']

It could have been crabs too. I have seen pictures of an emerald crab ripping a clam to shreds. What kind of clam was it, that would be pretty big for a maxima.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Your entire tank will benefit from dosing DT's phyto' date=' though the clam really doesn't need it. There are two types of people who keep clams...people who feed and people who don't. Both will argue that their method is better.[/quote']

Ok cool thanks Isaac. How much phyto do you recommend I feed a 150 gallon total water system? All my coral are tiny right now but I'm really trying to boost my pod population so I can get a blue Mandarin Dragonet. I don't really want to supplement feed it as that will get expensive quick.

I got some DT's phyto to feed but I will probably only feed once a week. I just turn my skimmer off and clean my glass and it should get enough from that. Atleast according to what I read. They don't require feedong if there over 1.5 inches so I am not really worried about it.

My clam has grown 2 inches since december with no feedings.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk