Hose for water transfer!

Eugenereef

I am looking for hose to do water changes and was wondering if folks here could share their experience with me. Years ago, I used garden hose for water changes in my fresh water tank. DOH! And killed fishes after every water change DOH! Could not figure it out until I changed it to clear plastic pipe.

Now need at least 60' of hose (too lazy to lug buckets :))

Thanks for your input!

I used a garden hose for 4 year for water changes and never had any problems. What kids of problems would it cause?

Now I am just interested.

I think the problem with mine was that it stayed outside on the patio (but out of sun). It still had water left over from previous water changes. As Dumb A** I was, I never flushed the old water out and went directly to adding water to my tank. The poor things in the tank would suffer for a few days and then I would find then floating on the top :( (This was in the beginning). I then went to plastic hose, read up and had planted tank for next 6 years and never lost a fish!

That said, plasticizers in a common garden hose can be pretty toxic! I think if the hose was flushed properly, this might not be a problem. But with my past experience and guilt of putting fish to sleep does not allow me to even touch garden hose :( for adding water to my tank!)

I use a garden hose that said it was safe for drinking water. I never use the hose for anything other than fish stuff and it stays inside.

Good advise for everyone really. Some folks dont know that there are actually different garden hoses. Please don't let your kids or yourself drink out of hoses that aren't specifically labeled as safe for drinking. God only knows what could be in there otherwise.

+1 on RV hose' date=' it's made to drink from. It is white and most of the time has a blue stripe. The guys here at Guaranty in the Rv department say it comes in 25' lengths. I can purchase them for $10 each...$30 to make a 75 foot run. Let me know.[/quote']

Dude!!! (clap)

Just logged in to post this but you beat me to it :)

here's what I found in Lowes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10735&d=1297471493

attachment.php?attachmentid=10736&d=1297471518

My question is: are the metal coupler bad for saltwater? Do I have to replace them with plastic ones!

post-5810-141867758523_thumb.jpg

post-5810-141867758527_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input from all of you!!

I was inspired and finally put together my water prep station last night. Is filling up with RO water right now. Takes a long time to fill a 30 g container! (whistle)

here are some pictures:

Hmmm.. cannot load pics from this computer! is somebody else has this problem where the manage attachment page is half displayed.

I'll try other computer..

the pic here shows the quick disconnect installed at both ends on the transfer hose.

post-5810-14186775853_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip Jon!

So I started an account and now here goes the pics of my water prep station:

The top container is for DI-RO water and lower container is where I prepare saltwater. The pum is used for mixing and then the same pump moves the water to my tank!

First pic is of the whole setup and the second one showes plumbing details. The photo in previous post is the quick connect I have installed that is easy to handle. besides this quick connect also has autolock, so it prevents the drip of the salt water on carpet and floor while moving the hose in and out of the home!

IMG00110-20110212-1516.jpg[/img]

IMG00111-20110212-1516.jpg[/img]