Phosban Reactor question

titus'reef

Putting them together won't be any more efficent. Probably less and require more attention. Having carbon after a GFO reactor (like on a BRS duel reactor) does nothing for performance that kind of design is about cost, with the addition of the carbon catching fine particles from the GFO and in turn "clogging"/slowing flow and requiring "constant" adjustment. Having them apart allows them to each have thier own specific max flow setting as the carbon can handle more flow than phosban/gfo due to gfo/phosban breaking into fine particles. JMO

I've done it just as I said. i connected them separately. At the end i find it a little more easier to deal with, and what i mean is that when i have to change the carbon i don't have to deal with both to get one out of the system and than readjust them both again.

I run them in line, first carbon then GFO. You want the GFO to just barely tumble so use that reactor to adjust the flow. Carbon doesn't matter as long as its not so much flow that it grinds the particles to dust. This is the most efficient way to run themIMO and requires no attention once the flow is adjusted. Much easier than adjusting 2.

1 pump = less electricity usage

easy to remove 1 reactor to change media

less pumps to clean

easy to adjust flow

I like keeping the carbon and GFO seperate since one needs to be replaced more often than the other. But if you really want simplified go with what Merle (coralreefer) suggested

I simplify it even more' date=' at less cost and use less space...I mix BRS carbon and BRS High Capacity together in one 2 little fishies 150 and a maxijet with valve and change monthly...simple, easy, and seems to work great!!![/quote']

When you say mix it together, you mean like carbon on top and Phosphate remover on the bottom? I noticed some of the reactors have a media divider and I was thinking thats what people did, put half and half, but do you actually mix the two together and fill the reactor with it?

I am wanting to also run Carbon and Phosphate remover and would like an all in one reactor to keep it simple, I will be following this. Anyone care to share some pictures of your reactors that are inline or mixed in one?

When you say mix it together, you mean like carbon on top and Phosphate remover on the bottom? I noticed some of the reactors have a media divider and I was thinking thats what people did, put half and half, but do you actually mix the two together and fill the reactor with it?

I am wanting to also run Carbon and Phosphate remover and would like an all in one reactor to keep it simple, I will be following this. Anyone care to share some pictures of your reactors that are inline or mixed in one?

Here is my BRS deluxe reactor. I have ROX carbon in the top of unit and GFO in the bottom.

2010-12-15_14-29-25_791.jpg

You could certainly do that without troubles. The only thing to keep in mind is carbon should be replaced every 2 weeks while GFO can last 4-6 weeks' date=' so you will be tossing out good GFO, which is also more expensive, when you go to change out media.[/quote']

What I do to solve this problem is use half the recommended amount gfo and replace everything every two weeks.

I bought two of the deluxe brs reactors and I run one with carbon and the other with gfo. I have my carbon on full open because with the supplied sponge you compress the carbon so that it does not tumble and create dust. My gfo tumbles ever so slightly. I have to really turn down the pump on my gfo or it tumbles way to much. If it tumbles to hard it will break up but it takes quite a bit. Also if the gfo tumbles to hard it seams to go through the sponge and deposit it into the bottom of my sump. I then have to siphon it out. I think impur is right on combining them potentially costing more money in the long run because I change my carbon every two weeks and the gfo is good for a month or more. I do really like the brs reactors though. They are made and work extremely well in my opinion deffinitly worth the money in my opinion.

Plus one Bigjohnwoody. I would've done the two seperatly if I could've. Also you don't have to nesessarily have to have two pumps to run them seperatly, infact you don't have to have a specific pump dedicated to either one/both you can verry easily branch off of your return plumbing to 1/2" with john guest fittings these reactors use so little flow that it would hardly be missed.

Sorry for not keeping up with my thread but my wife just had the baby and I was gone.

Here is what I did with the reactors. The reactor in the back is filled with carbon.

I have a main ball valve for both as they are all connected to one main pump, but the phosban has another valve as it doesn't need to have that much flow. They are all crowded but i hope you can tell what's what.

post-6472-141867758391_thumb.jpg

I bought two of the deluxe brs reactors and I run one with carbon and the other with gfo. I have my carbon on full open because with the supplied sponge you compress the carbon so that it does not tumble and create dust. My gfo tumbles ever so slightly. I have to really turn down the pump on my gfo or it tumbles way to much. If it tumbles to hard it will break up but it takes quite a bit. Also if the gfo tumbles to hard it seams to go through the sponge and deposit it into the bottom of my sump. I then have to siphon it out. I think impur is right on combining them potentially costing more money in the long run because I change my carbon every two weeks and the gfo is good for a month or more. I do really like the brs reactors though. They are made and work extremely well in my opinion deffinitly worth the money in my opinion.

+1. I have the same BRS deluxe reactors and they do work great.

I put in 3-4 tablespoons of ROX carbon from BRS AND 3-4 tablespoons of HC Phosphate remover from BRS...no divider...one pump...they gently mix together and very gently tumble...I dump out mixture and do again on first of the month...yes, carbon maybe getting old and yes, phosphate binder may have some life left, but it is super easy, fast and GETS DONE each and every month...takes 10 minutes...may not be textbook with flows and lifespan, but my tank looks great and it is simple and relatively inexpensive. The enemy of a good plan is the perfect plan...