Maroon Clown vs other fish in my tank?

XrayGuy

So, I got this smokin deal from a guy for some corals and one of the stipulations was that I also take his maroon clown. This fish is just a tad over 3" long and appears to be healthy. After acclimating him, I put him in my sump while I figure out what to do with him...I am concerned whether he will bully my other fish or not since he is bigger than all of them except my coral beauty. Here is what I have:

Coral beauty - 3"

Dragon/Bullet Goby - 2.5"

2x O. Clowns - 2"

2x Green Chromis - 1.5"

Three Stripe Damsel - 1.5"

Cleaner Shrimp

Coral Banded Shrimp

Hermits, nass snails, turbos, brittle star

If not recommended for my tank, then I will post it for sale/trade so it goes to a good home. Thanks in advance for input.

IMG_0969.jpg

Sometimes they do fine if they are added last. I had no problem with one I had in the aggressive tank but it was contending with triggers. If he made you take the maroon clown, that makes me think she is a problem child and a smaller size tank like yours could make her more prone to aggression with much smaller fish.

I have 3 perculas and a maroon in my 90 gallon. The only problems I had was that the mated pair started to fight after the maroon was introduced. Now they all try and host the same anemone(the maroon is only as big as the perculas). Each fish has a personality of their own so without trying it there is no surefire way to tell. If you do end up listing him give me a yell as I am interested in another clown. But I will not be adding fish to the new 55 for a week or so.

Sometimes they do fine if they are added last. I had no problem with one I had in the aggressive tank but it was contending with triggers. If he made you take the maroon clown' date=' that makes me think she is a problem child and a smaller size tank like yours could make her more prone to aggression with much smaller fish.[/quote']

I agree. Seems weird that he wanted to get rid of it so bad.

I agree. Seems weird that he wanted to get rid of it so bad.

No, you guys have the wrong idea...i should have clarified. The guy was selling the last of his saltwater stuff because he was turning his tank into a freshwater planted tank to go with his ciclid tank.

I had a cinnamon clown of about the same size, it was a good fish for quiet a while when something in it suddenly snapped. I witnessed it daily running into my rocks and coral as hard as it could until it would finally knock something over. It didn't matter how good i glued coral down, it was relentless and the glue would finally give in. Coming home to your tank all messed up on a daily isn't that fun! No more clowns for me, they're not that funny...

I'd personally, since it is being added after the others, wouldn't do it with the pair of occellaris you already have in there, there could be some problems, and maroons are known as one of the meanest of all clowns, if not THE meanest. We've got a pair that live in our sump, but our sump is a converted 55g acrylic lol, so they have more than enough room, but I wouldn't even dream of putting them in our display with our B&W's.

So, after giving some thought to this, I will be offering it for trade/sale. I decided that I do not want to risk it being a bully and then having to try catching the darn thing to take it out of my DT. I also was thinking about how I can probably only add one or two more fish to my tank anyways before it will be too crowded and decided that this fish is not on my list of must haves. Pnkrcklives has first dibs on it and if it doesn't work out, then I will make a listing for it. Thanks again for all the input.

yellow banded maroons have a different personality then any other clown for the most part. They are very hit or miss. I have had 4 total and all were fine with all other fish. It's when they encounter another clown that they go ape$h!t. One was overly protective of his 16" anemone and would literally attack anything new in the water(my arm) in the whole tank. My other three have been totally cool with everything. My first was a single that I could pretty much pick up in my hand if I wanted(RIP). The second is a pair that are both lovers. The female is especially lovey. The male chills under a ledge with the nem but the female comes right to my hand every time and just stays with me in the tank.

Oops, didn't see the other clowns in that list the first time. I wouldn't put him in. He will most likely be fighting with the other clowns unless you have a large tank...