your opinion on BUILD THREADS

Longiotti

So I am going to "Build" my own tank. I mean buy the glass and glue it together and say a few prayers and hope to stays together. Ok I have done research I am sure it will be fine and I plan on doing a BUILD thread for it so that people can look at it for a laugh or to learn something.

I do searches and there are tons of "build" thread about people putting tanks together.

Does this bug anyone else, or just me?

yes I saw your build thread. I already asked you about silicone!

ordered it from Granger down here in Medford. I went and picked up the glass on my lunch hour. probably going to start siliconing it together in the next week or so. I can't wait! it is going to be sweet......

nothing like putting a tank in the wall in the kitchen! I have a Great Wife!

going to plumb it into my existing 90 gallon about 25 feet away. will have to run the plumbing under the house.

Wow - very interesting. I'll be curious to tag along. I would be too scared to try. I have no idea how glass tanks are "glued" together, but I would be terrified that 10 years down the road the whole thing would tear apart and spill all that water onto the floor - and of course lose all that coral and have to start over.

But I'm a big DIY fan and will enjoy watching.

I love following build threads.....doing my own build thread not so much...lol, I had plans to document the whole process of building my setup, but as I started putting everything together.... frustration and mistakes trumped remembering to take pics(laugh) Needless to say, I don't have a build thread...lol, But I do really like following build threads, its pretty cool to see the step by step, and every setup is so different each build is pretty unique so I would for sure follow your build thread.

Your going from scratch...scratch...like building the tank itself, thats pretty cool, you have more cahonies than me...(scary) wish you the best of luck, and I say...Yeah, do a build thread, but remember to take pics and don't get frustrated like I did...LOLDOH!

Wow - very interesting. I'll be curious to tag along. I would be too scared to try. I have no idea how glass tanks are "glued" together, but I would be terrified that 10 years down the road the whole thing would tear apart and spill all that water onto the floor - and of course lose all that coral and have to start over.

But I'm a big DIY fan and will enjoy watching.

This could be said for any tank home made or store bought.

I am glad that everyone enjoys the build threads but I must not have gotten my point across. I enjoy "build" threads also. they are great to read and follow along, and the pictures are great.

HERE WAS MY POINT

when it the title it says for example.

"250 gallon build thread"

one would assume that person is "building" the tank. when in fact all they are doing is putting store bought parts together.

I wish the title would read "250 Gallon assemble thread"

it would make it easier when looking for info on "building" a glass aquarium.

is there something I am missing.

if someone is building a tank from scratch should it say DIY in the title or something?

do you all get where I am coming from or do I stand alone?

Well there really aren't that many people who actually build the actual tank from scratch. There are some very handy people on here and many who build their own tanks and things from acrylic and glass.

I'm guessing what you are trying to say is it is difficult to find what you are looking for in all the tank build threads. Maybe the DIY place would be better or if you have specific questions I know Impur and Rick have both made tanks out of glass. Wanareef and Squid HC do nice acrylic work. I have also seen nice work from Gabe. As far as stands, USCG (shane) makes great stands as well as Saltfinsax and Rick also makes stands. Steelhead is also handy with making stands.

Those are a few off the top of my head. I know I have left people out.

I am glad that everyone enjoys the build threads but I must not have gotten my point across. I enjoy "build" threads also. they are great to read and follow along, and the pictures are great.

HERE WAS MY POINT

one would assume that person is "building" the tank. when in fact all they are doing is putting store bought parts together.

if someone is building a tank from scratch should it say DIY in the title or something?

I see what you are saying. I guess the word "build" has just been adopted by aquarist to mean the the purchase and assembling of store boughten good and some DIY to add.

So I am going to "Build" my own tank. I mean buy the glass and glue it together and say a few prayers and hope to stays together. Ok I have done research I am sure it will be fine and I plan on doing a BUILD thread for it so that people can look at it for a laugh or to learn something.

I do searches and there are tons of "build" thread about people putting tanks together.

Does this bug anyone else, or just me?

Build threads are awesome! They are kinda like a diary of the progression of your tank (when done right). They give all members, new and old, the ability to see what everyone else is doing, the good and the bad. (laugh)

Just because you don't "build" your tank, doesn't mean you aren't building your system. By assembling your stand, putting the tank on it, hooking all of the plumbing up and everything else in between, you are "building" your system.

I think you are pretty lonely up there.

Building a tank could have many different meanings, while I did not build our 40b, I helped build the stand, I did build the stand the frag tank is on, and I assembled the plumbing, in my mind, I "built" our system. So therefore, it's a "BUILD" thread.

I am not talking down to anyone who puts a system together. I did the same thing. But I would not label a thread. "90 Gallon tank Build Thread"

that is like buying a mobile home, moving it onto some land. Hooking up the sewer, water, and electric and saying you built a house. Well we moved the furniture in it, and I built the stairs that go to the front door.

I enjoy seeing people put systems together and see what lights, skimmers, etc that they use. I think a better label for the thread would be "90 Gallon assembly thread" or something like that.

Just because you don't "build" your tank, doesn't mean you aren't building your system. By assembling your stand, putting the tank on it, hooking all of the plumbing up and everything else in between, you are "building" your system.

I think you are pretty lonely up there.

Building a tank could have many different meanings, while I did not build our 40b, I helped build the stand, I did build the stand the frag tank is on, and I assembled the plumbing, in my mind, I "built" our system. So therefore, it's a "BUILD" thread.

I am not talking down to anyone who puts a system together. I did the same thing. But I would not label a thread. "90 Gallon tank Build Thread"

that is like buying a mobile home, moving it onto some land. Hooking up the sewer, water, and electric and saying you built a house. Well we moved the furniture in it, and I built the stairs that go to the front door.

I enjoy seeing people put systems together and see what lights, skimmers, etc that they use. I think a better label for the thread would be "90 Gallon assembly thread" or something like that.

Longiotti we could go on for days about how messed up and confusing the English language could be just ask Grassi. He's still trying to master all of our confusing slang!(laugh)

Build can mean different things and yes if you took it literally it would mean actually building the actual tank but Tank build is the term everyone uses for tank assembly and the term has stuck. There are plenty of things that are misnamed and it would actually make a fun thread. For example when I first saw the name Fighting conch I thought wow those must be a really aggressive invert...(laugh)

I think people are confused at what you are getting at.(scratch) I know I am. Are you wanting people to change the titles of their threads to make it less confusing to you? Are you simply making an observation? Do you want another section that talks about building actual tanks?

Everyone is really helpful on this forum we just want to know what you are asking for..:D I'm afraid however you are stuck with people using the term "Tank Build" as it is used on every forum I have seen.

Tank assembly by the way although a more accurate term is still confusing and it puts forth an image to me of doing a tank build with lincoln logs, an erector set, or legos.:D

I really like the idea of a section about home built tanks!

no I really did not expect anyone to change the title of their threads. I was really just making an observation and see if it is me that is backwards or if other people find them self going into a "build thread" and after the 10th page it is a store bought tank.

maybe it is just me.

I think by the same logic you would actually be assembling your aquarium. You take the components and put them together. In this case you might take a 4'x3' peice of glass and glue it to a 4'x2' piece of glass and so on....

No matter what you call it its great to watch these works of living art come together.:D

You're fixating on a single definition of the word build. You are still building a tank, even if you aren't building the tank itself, by building the system.

I'm going to be doing a new system once we get our own house, it's going to be custom built, tanks(2) and sump, by James at Envision, but while he's building the tanks, I'm going to be building the entire system, so while in your world, it'd be an assembling of the pieces, it will still be a tank BUILD. And that is exactly what I intend to call it, a Tank Build.

So in a few months, a new tank build will be coming to a pac nw forums near you.

I really like the idea of a section about home built tanks!

no I really did not expect anyone to change the title of their threads. I was really just making an observation and see if it is me that is backwards or if other people find them self going into a "build thread" and after the 10th page it is a store bought tank.

maybe it is just me.

When I see a tank build thread I assume it is going to be about putting the lights, sand, rock plumbing, etc etc, into making a system. I think most people do.

I would think home built tanks would be in the DIY section. That's where I see sumps anyway. My guess is most people don't do it because it's pretty easy to find someone around here who does custom work for tanks at a reasonable cost.

I think by the same logic you would actually be assembling your aquarium. You take the components and put them together. In this case you might take a 4'x3' peice of glass and glue it to a 4'x2' piece of glass and so on....

No matter what you call it its great to watch these works of living art come together.:D

Roger you have a good point. If I saw a tread titled tank assembly I would think it was maybe someone building their own tank from scratch.

HERE WAS MY POINT

Face it your an over achiever LOL