best way for catching a fish

thatguy559

The easiset way I caught the hippo tangs was to find the rock they sleep in and before the lights came on simply remove the rock they were in and put it in a bucket. There natural tendency was to wriggle deeper into the rock and not try to escape. Worked like a charm for both as they were both fish trap wise.

• Like 1

I've heard of waiting till the middle of the night when its all dark and shining a flash light in at the fish you want to catch. Supposed to stun them for a min, long enough for you to scoopem out. ? I've always had to tear my tank apart. Yikes! But my little hippo will stay in the piece of rock where he sleeps like mentioned previously and I can just remove that piece of rock. Sometimes just lowering the water level will enable you to get'em, but that probably depends on your aquascape design. I haven't been able to try an actual fish trap but thier supposed to work, usally after you've caught every other fish first, from what i've heard. Good Luck.

You could try stunning him with the flashlight method. That didn't work for me with the hippo tang as he just buried himself in the rock and I could not get him. The fish trap worked great when I was trying to catch another fish but didn't work the second time as the hippo tang had been caught in it inadvertantly and was not going back in there. I have a fish trap too but you are quite a ways away from me.

Ditto on the middle of the night method. I would use a strong bright flashlight and blind him the whole time while I caught him. Another way I have tried was to use a thin piece of plastic( from a poster frame) and used it to divide the tank in half. That way only messed up half the tank. Works if your tank aquascaping is divided in the center like mine. The bottle method works too, but you might catch everyone except who you want at first. I think the bigger the fish the easier it is to catch with the night time/flashlight method.

Good luck!!

Never caught a fish via middle of the night method but have tried many times. Before I invested in a fish trap the best way was just go in after them when they think your going to feed, feed sparingly so they come to the food. After I got a fish trap it was easy, put fish food in trap, the fish you don't want to catch always goes in within 30 seconds of trap going in, and finally 3 days or 3 weeks later the fish you want gets hungry enough he will go in to eat and you got'em.