Octopus Anyone?

batchelor

The only live shrimp I have seen them carry are pacific spot prawns, I bought one for $1 that was about 6 inches long. They have a very short season during the summer when they are allowed to be harvested.

I haven't seen any local seafood stores that keep octopus in stock, but I'm sure that if you asked they could get it no problem. They have them pretty regularly in asian seafood markets in california. Your best bet is to hit up the 3 or 4 that are near 82nd and powell up here. Language barrier is sometimes a problem, so be specific and patient.

i bet they could get them' date=' i want a octopus bad but don't know how to seal my tank[/quote']

and that is the magic right there. You could hit up Isaac....I think it was Isaac(scratch)....recently posted up an octopus that he had or got and was confident that it wouldn't escape. Maybe see what he is doing or did.

I may be wrong and please correct me if I'm wrong but they will eccape if they can reach there arm/leg up and reach a ledge or top. They will investigate, but if they cant feel anything, or anyware to go they find something else to do. If you have the water to the top of the tank, they reach out and feel arround, get curious and go take a look. They are like toddlers, you shut a door thats whare they want to go, if they can reach it they will want to play with it.

I did have one in college - back when I knew nothing about saltwater tanks (now I'm up to knowing very little).

It was actually very cool. I'm not sure what species. I had to feed it live goldfish, but eventually got it trained to eat raw shrimp.

You do have to seal the tank pretty well, but not air tight. A glass lid over as much as possible would be best, but that creates temperature issues. I would think you could get the monofilament mesh (BRS) and double that up. That would probably be sufficient.

I do recall that most octopi have a short life spam, but I'm not sure on that.

I also tried to get a blue-ring (again, college/stupid age), but it didn't live. I have since learned that they are really bad shippers, and only live for like 6 months in the wild.

I may be wrong and please correct me if I'm wrong but they will eccape if they can reach there arm/leg up and reach a ledge or top. They will investigate' date=' but if they cant feel anything, or anyware to go they find something else to do. If you have the water to the top of the tank, they reach out and feel arround, get curious and go take a look. They are like toddlers, you shut a door thats whare they want to go, if they can reach it they will want to play with it.[/quote']

that is my belief as well. But when I expressed it to Isaac it was shot down by both him and.....well nevermind.

that is my belief as well. But when I expressed it to Isaac it was shot down by both him and.....well nevermind.

Actually, This is what you said as well as my response to your mastery of the obvious........

Why cant it climb out? They do it all the time....they are known to be escape artists you know

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

My imaginary friend Cyberreefer and I installed an electric fence around the tub. It's the same way I keep my velosoraptor contained.

.......It is true that if the octopus can reach out of the top it will probably escape. Do you really think I wouldn't consider that??? That's why Cyberboy, I mean Cyberreefer helped me install the electric fence. Duh!! Someone buy this guy some anti know it all juice for Christmas......

Ive kept 3 bimacs in the past. Its IMO the best option, they only get about 24", they are diurnal so they are out during the day.

But,, they need 70ish degree water, so it requires a chiller.

I had mine in a corner hex. I used velcro and acrylic to make lids that could not be removed. I used fine mesh netting in the overflow.

Its also best to have a pretty good sized skimmer, they arent clean. If they ink, you need to get the ink out asap and a decent skimmer is the way to do it.

I used to hand feed mine emerald crabs.

Oh and you can usually get them captive raised, so they are very young. they only live a year so you want a young one to make it worth it.

Check out stickycricket.com (off memory) I think he was breeding them in CA.