Octopus Anyone?

batchelor

They are really cool there is no doubt about that. You have to keep in mind though that you cant keep anything with them. And if it was shy and only came out at feeding time the novelty might were off pretty quick. You have to specially design a system for them as well, because they can and will escape through the smallest hole. My understanding is they don't live very long either and I don't just mean in captivity. In the wild I believe they only live for two or three years; although this would all depend on the species I am sure. I have never kept one just looked into it. If you do get one I would love to see pics. Reef central has a thread section dedicated to Cephalopods and there is a lot of good info there. If you do decide to get one you will have a lot of reading up to do LOL Don't let me dissuade you though it can and has been done.

Here is a link to reefcentral http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Interesting.....now I am considering this. I have always been interested in cold water just never found anything that made it worth while for me. But an Octopus is the only other SW creature I have yet to own that is on my hit list.....well....that an a killer whale....but realistic thought tells me that will never happen....

keep in mind that an octopus uses ink as a defense system,

if they get intimidated they will ink. and if they ink, the water quality goes to a POOR level. at this point you would need to do an immediate water change-- OR ELSE!!! (dun dun dunnnnn).

cool idea, just keep it practical.

i have peered at the newport aquarium octo and it is always tucked away.

keep in mind that an octopus uses ink as a defense system,

if they get intimidated they will ink. and if they ink, the water quality goes to a POOR level. at this point you would need to do an immediate water change-- OR ELSE!!! (dun dun dunnnnn).

cool idea, just keep it practical.

i have peered at the newport aquarium octo and it is always tucked away.

ya so no petting them