BioCube

J.R

Sooo I am still not finished with the re-model of the house, which means the 180 is still bone dry until the new living room is finished. So I am actually thinking of buying one of those 29gal HQI biocubes and using that to solve my itch for the next couple of months and using it as may a fag tank or a QT tank after I get the big tank ready. My question is has any one used one of these before? The little skimmer in it decent enough for the set-up? pros? cons? ect..

Sooo I am still not finished with the re-model of the house' date=' which means the 180 is still bone dry until the new living room is finished. So I am actually thinking of buying one of those 29gal HQI biocubes and using that to solve my itch for the next couple of months and using it as may a fag tank or a QT tank after I get the big tank ready. My question is has any one used one of these before? The little skimmer in it decent enough for the set-up? pros? cons? ect..[/quote']

hey, i have a biocube 29 that i want to get rid of, its only a month and a half old.

i think they are great systems, mine is flourishing right now, the skimmer works well.

i modified my system so i can put a filter sock in it, which is a little more economical.

any ways i would definitely suggest them, and pm me if you have any interest in mine

I thought about going that route as well, the thing I like about the JBJ Nanocube (Which is what I think your talking about) is that they have two returns and come with a wavemaker, I like that better than a single return, I think the protien skimmer that comes with it is cheezy personally, the wood airstone type protien skimmer is old school at best, if you can modify it to use a venturi type skimmer that would be the way to go.

The main downside to the 150w MH Hood is I have heard the tanks get pretty warm and many run them with chillers, others have removed the hood and used sunpods with a fan...but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a all in one and getting the metal halide top.

They do have the LED version that is quite a bit more expensive but you wouldn't have the possible heat issue.....but they are MUCH more expensive.

I like the Nanocubes better than the Biocubes (Oceanics version).....

The main downside to the 150w MH Hood is I have heard the tanks get pretty warm and many run them with chillers, others have removed the hood and used sunpods with a fan...but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a all in one and getting the metal halide top.

I like the Nanocubes better than the Biocubes (Oceanics version).....

Doesn't the light sit way above the tank, not in the hood?

Still I think the idea is good. Not only will you be able to steal a little sand and rock from your cube for your 180 when you get it to help seed bacteria, but you can satisfy that itch of yours. :)