40Breeder Lighting

OwenReefin

Just curious, if I am wanting to keep pretty much any coral, what type of lighting and how much of it do I need for a 40g breeder?

The canopy only allows 5 inches between glass top and lights. I do not want a chiller. If T5 how many of them? If Halide, same question? If a mix, (enforcer) .

Thanks much for the input.

6 bulb 36" T5HO system is my suggestion Owen, it's what I'm running. Alex(grass) can give you an idea on what bulb combo to use.

I'm gonna be running a 6 bulb Tek system myself, picking up the bulbs for it Thursday, so I'll let know you how it looks once it's over the tank LOL.

Oh, an quick word of advice, get rid of the glass top....If you must have a top, use egg crate, as the glass keeps the gas exchange very low, which is bad. I think that's what it does, all I know is it's bad LOL.

• Like 1

Ok, so 6 would be good. When I was looking, I found an 8 setup for a good price locally. He sells them on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290505352538&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_1140wt_905 He is in Albany , All For Fish, what ya guys think of the fixture. I would be retro'in it in the canopy.

Or, if its not so much, whats so good fixtures?

• 3 weeks later...

Owen, did you ever decide on a light? I never saw your reply to this thread, otherwise I would of offered up some fixtures...

A T5 set-up is all about how much you're willing to put in to it. The better they are, the more they cost, and with T5's, the reflectors are EVERYTHING, if you don't have good reflectors, you might as well have desk lamps over the tank LOL. But, to get those good reflectors, you have to pay for them.

Now, if you have the money to spend, a LOT of money to spend, this is the way to go:

ATI Powermodule

Now that is the absolute top of the line T5HO fixture on the market, you can get the 36" fixture in 4, 6, 8 or all the way up to 10 bulbs, which is what is linked.

Or, you can get a TEK light, again, really nice fixture, pretty pricy as well:

TEK 6x39w 36" fixture

New TEK Elit 6x39w 36 fixture

The one issue with the TEK's is that they don't come with bulbs, but with those particular links, you do have the option of adding bulbs for an added price, and you get to pick the bulbs, which is a really nice feature.

Personally, if I had the money, I would get an ATI, I love our TEK light, an the only reason we were able to get it is because of the killer deal a fellow member put on it, and there is no way I could talk my gf into spending a grand on a fixture at the present time, but hey, I can always hope an dream, right? LOL

Now, on the other hand, again, if you have the money, you have this option right here:

SFILIGOI

They make an awesome awesome product, probably one of the absolute best fixtures on the market today, and one of their newest products is a beautifuly LED fixture that is completely programmable and controllable, able to replicate the natural cycle of the sun, very very cool fixture, but EXTREMELY pricey.

Or, you can go with this, they rank under TEK but make a nice fixture for the money, and they do come with bulbs, which is always nice lol:

Nova Extreme Pro

That should at least point you in the right direction LOL.

And no offense to the owner of that store, and not speaking for myself, because I have no first hand experience with purchasing lights off of Ebay, but people mainly fall into 2 categories when it comes to purchasing lights off of Ebay, they either love them, such as reefnjunkie, or they hate em, which is quite a few people I've met, including several on here LOL.

Ya I'm still on the fence with this one. I know I wont be able to do the 400+ dollar things yet, but I'm ok with that for now. I just wont keep corals that demand lots of light. What I'm looking for still is used or new T5 lights that can be installed into a 6 inch tall canopy, 36". I would love to be able to afford a TEK light but not at the moment I think. Looking to hold budget at 200-300, and can add more later.

I am using a 36" dual 250w Sunpod that is suspended about 10"-12" above the tank, I am using this fan to keep the temp in check...

http://www.marinedepot.com/Azoo_Cooling_Fans_Cooling_Fans_for_Aquarium_Lighting-Azoo-AZ71021-FILTACAF-vi.html

I have no problem keeping the temps at 79 using only the fan, I bought the fan on E-bay, got two of them for $25, The light I also got off E-Bay from the CurrentUSA seller who I have purchased all my lights from, I have bought 3 fixtures from him and all of them have been perfect. Sometimes he has 36" T-5's up as well, I just bought a 48" Sundail for my wifes 33 long, I paid less than $150 for it and it was perfect.

If your not in a hurry, I would keep your eyes open, I probably will be purchasing another 36" fixture for my other 40 breeder in the near future, and will be going back to CurrentUSA on E-Bay to get one....

I personally like the shimmering look of metal halides, but the ability to play around with custom lighting coloration is pretty cool on T-5's, being able to swap bulbs and customize the look you want is pretty cool.