Ipad

Gill

Mine's under the Christmas tree. In a box. All wrapped up. Sad and lonely. It's really messing up my Christmas spirit, but the wife won't let me rescue it. Such cruelty.

I was skeptical of the iPad, then I borrowed one from work for a weekend. Instant fanboy. What do you want to know?

go laptop. the ipad has limitations, imagine writing a paper on a touch screen... yuck.

also you can't install certain programs (word, excell etc) you cant go on certain websites, and things like adobe acrobat will note get installed. IMO a laptop is 100 times better when it come to school work. for apps it is sick

Mine's under the Christmas tree. In a box. All wrapped up. Sad and lonely. It's really messing up my Christmas spirit, but the wife won't let me rescue it. Such cruelty.

I was skeptical of the iPad, then I borrowed one from work for a weekend. Instant fanboy. What do you want to know?

Oh no, but don't worry Christmas is almost here. LOL Did you get the 32GB? I was wondering if I can hook a keyboard into it. I would want to write papers on it but mostly I would be reading. I was a skeptic too but then a kid at school showed me his and I fell in love LOL You can buy textbooks for it at half price and then you don't have to carry a hundred pounds in books around. Plus navigating PNWMAS from class would be so nice J/K LOL. Do you know how much time the battery gives per charge? Have you seen the otter box case? My co workers have them for there Iphones and they are super nice. They cost a hundred for the Ipad though.

go laptop. the ipad has limitations, imagine writing a paper on a touch screen... yuck.

also you can't install certain programs (word, excell etc) you cant go on certain websites, and things like adobe acrobat will note get installed. IMO a laptop is 100 times better when it come to school work. for apps it is sick

Your probably right, I was hoping I could plug in a keyboard I even have a apple keyboard with a usb plug already.

You can get a Bluetooth keyboard and use that to type if you like. Also it's Adobe Flash that is not supported in iOS NOT Adobe PDF/Acrobat which IS natively supported in the iOS just like viewing of Microsoft Office document formats. Flash is NOT a big deal for me and frankly I'm happy to see it wither up and sit in a corner as newer and better technologies (HTML5) replace it. With that business out of the way I will say it's an incredible device for email, web surfing, videos, and the apps. I LOVE watching sports with it sitting next to me with Sportacular on the screen just cramming my eye sockets with information.

All of that said I'm not sure it would be the best first or only computer in a house. As a second or third computer in the house it's unrivaled and a very, very useful device.

Apple had refurbished iPads available at a pretty significant discount on their website. Check out:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals?mco=MjAzMDc3ODM

I've purchased plenty of iPods and Macs through Apple refurbished and NEVER been disappointed and all items there look exactly like new and carry the same warranty as new products.

Oh no, but don't worry Christmas is almost here. LOL Did you get the 32GB? I was wondering if I can hook a keyboard into it. I would want to write papers on it but mostly I would be reading. I was a skeptic too but then a kid at school showed me his and I fell in love LOL You can buy textbooks for it at half price and then you don't have to carry a hundred pounds in books around. Plus navigating PNWMAS from class would be so nice J/K LOL. Do you know how much time the battery gives per charge? Have you seen the otter box case? My co workers have them for there Iphones and they are super nice. They cost a hundred for the Ipad though.

For reading it will be great. You can also view PDFs and ePub formats on it if your textbooks or other materials are available in those formats. Battery life is crazy good - I easily get the 10 hours they advertise with my normal usage. I got a portfolio slip case from Marware for mine and I'm pretty happy - I think it was $35 or so.

jackaninny Do you have the 3g enabled version? I was thinking it was a waste of money since my school and home have wifi.

I have the WiFi only version and maybe once or twice I could have used the 3G but I had a MiFi card with me so didn't need it. My iPad is used in my house 95% of the time so WiFi works great for me.

once again, not to be a debbie downer. i think the ipads are cool.

but once you add up the cost of a blue tooth dock/keyboard, a case, and anything else that you need to get, you are looking at a price that could land you near a laptop. and with laptops, you get wifi, a built in key board that you don't have to fiddle with, and it is all neat and compact. on top of this you have little to no limits, and you have more features. get an itouch to satisfy your touch envy ( i think they still come with a macbook these days lol). oh yeah, and you get the sick computer games, IMO they rival, or beat the apps

once again, not to be a debbie downer. i think the ipads are cool.

but once you add up the cost of a blue tooth dock/keyboard, a case, and anything else that you need to get, you are looking at a price that could land you near a laptop. and with laptops, you get wifi, a built in key board that you don't have to fiddle with, and it is all neat and compact. on top of this you have little to no limits, and you have more features. get an itouch to satisfy your touch envy ( i think they still come with a macbook these days lol). oh yeah, and you get the sick computer games, IMO they rival, or beat the apps

It's about ease of use and content. Once you understand that you might understand why Apple is selling every iPad they can make as fast as they can make them.