Anyone ever refilled r134a on a chiller? Or does anyone work or refriderators?

AquaticEngineer

Yep it definately looks serviceable. fpd4308 if I were you I would at least consult the guys at pacific coast before attempting to recharge a PC chiller. They can tell you if its even worth it, apparently there are several scenarios where its just not worth it. They've been through it numerous times.

Looks like I can see the service ports in the picture. Well one for sure. I am busy till after christmas. After that I could come take a look and see if I can do anything with it. I will also call my buddy tonight and see if him or any of his crew have serviced those. I know he does comercial HVAC.

Ask him if he knows anyone that used to do service on the lobster tanks at any Albertsons. That seems to be the one place that for sure had the Marineland commercial aquariums.

I've seen several of these type units/tanks around the coast (Tillamook Bay area) just sitting around looking like if you asked the owners they would probably say "get'er out of here". I almost did it myself. One specific place that had a couple outside was the seafood place across from the "Cheese Factory". Just thought I would let ya know.

I've seen several of these type units/tanks around the coast (Tillamook Bay area) just sitting around looking like if you asked the owners they would probably say "get'er out of here". I almost did it myself. One specific place that had a couple outside was the seafood place across from the "Cheese Factory". Just thought I would let ya know.

If you find any place that does have these, please let me know, or if you have the time to ask them find out how much they would part with them for :D

Yes i have a Pacific Coast 1/2 HP chiller and had to put more free-on in it. You can take it to any automobile shop with air conditioner services to get it refill. It uses the same free-on as air conditioner in cars. I think its called R31 or R30 free-on something like that.

Vin B.O.M "Blue Ocean Marines Inc."

• 4 months later...

Reviving this thread since DrunkReefer ended up getting my coldwater cube tank and it looks like it may need a R134A recharge.

It has I think what the call a "schrader" valve for the fitting on it and it needs only 10 ounces of coolant. Think we could bleed off the system and make some connection fittings to refill it using a small can of automobile AC recharge?

The only thing I dont know how to do would be to completely empty the system and create a vaccuum in it so it takes a full charge. Any ideas?

I hit up Taylor (PnkrckLives) about refilling it using automotive means, so we'll see :)

those are king valves on that unit. yes, you need to evac/recover the unit and then pull a proper vacume on the system to acceptable micron level . this is a refridgeration unit and you may be able to accomplish a recharge though the way you discribing but damage the unit in the long run. i work for a heating and refrigeration company and done service for over 14 years. you can cut corners on this but if it is not done properly, it will cost you alot more in the future.

I have a portable machine that hooks to an air compressor to create a vacuum. Then you could try one of those canned R134 bottles(have a few kicking around here). I am willing to give it a try here at the shop one Saturday. I have acess to many adapter fittings and my automotive A/C machine. In therory it should work...

those are king valves on that unit. yes' date=' you need to evac/recover the unit and then pull a proper vacume on the system to acceptable micron level . this is a refridgeration unit and you may be able to accomplish a recharge though the way you discribing but damage the unit in the long run. i work for a heating and refrigeration company and done service for over 14 years. you can cut corners on this but if it is not done properly, it will cost you alot more in the future.[/quote']

Any recommendations on a place that would service something like this?

Call Apex Refrigeration in Gresham. The guy's name is Chris. He is a reefer' date=' and works pretty cheaply.[/quote']

if the guy above does good work and has the right equipment, he should be fine and sounds like he is cheep. i work for McClenny/RHC / Hybrid Heating and Air Conditioning. if you bring it in we can work on it. if we have to come to place, there would be travel time involved. pm me if you would like to know the rates or to get more info.

do not add any oil!!!! it is in the resivoir in the compressor and add oil you take a chance of siezing the compresor or breaking valves. both systems are the same basic operation but have different lubrication caractoristics. you are correct on the oil needing to be the synthetic peg oil. there is sight glasses on the larger comercial compressors so you know how much oil to add and we are talking more on the quart amount.but with the little compressors, there is no way to know how much to add and we are talk ounces and if yopu add to much, you can cause compressor failour and possible compresor burn out and it is very hard and costly to clean a system after a burn out. Proceed with caution and have someone that is experienced do the work. do not just add freon, it is a blend and the different compoinents leak out at diffeent rates. if you have a leak, you have to recover all that is left inb the system and then scale it back in. i am in sales now but this is what i did for over 14 years. you need to have a micron gauge too. if your going to have Pnkrcklives do it. have him pm me and i can give him info.

i am off my soap box now...LOL