zoo lovers be warned

reefboy

I read in an article, when tangs and other fish go bad, it's due to underfeeding your fish. I mean, why eat stinging food while you can have nice non-stinging good tasting food? Unless the tang gets an adrenalin rush when it gets stung. It could be addictive! Wait, does fish have adrenalin?

Well I'm glad you feed your tank because I ALWAYS feed mine. It just might be the way you go about feeding your tank may make the difference. Level with me here:

Tangs are grazers.

grazers eat constantly because they have a shortER digestion tract compared to other fish.

Therefore they poop constantly as well.

So instead of having 2 heavy feedings a day; having more (4+), less heavy feedings would meet the behavioral demands of a tang.

Thus reducing the probability of the tang eating other things (corals)

I mean, if the tang is eating zoos when you are feeding it, you have a zoo eater. If the tang is eating zoos inbetween meals, it is most likely hungry and have to resort to those [language filter] stinging, sliming round things in your tank that grows on the rock, kinda how and where algae grows as well!!!

Please don't feel as if I am picking on you Jody. I just wanted to inform you and others on how to properly take care of our animals. I mean, this is an educational site and we learn and teach things to people everyday. I'm just doing my part as a member. Good Luck with the tang.

Actually grazer have a longer digestive tracts than carnivorous fish. It is just because of the foods that they eat that they have to consume food a lot more frequently. Most predators have intestines that are about the length of their body up to 1.5 times the length while grazers generally have intestines that are between 4-6 times their body length.

ah, that is right. It is harder to digest plants than flesh because of the hard cell walls. So it would make sense that grazers would have longer digestive tracts which gives them a longer time to break down and digest the plant cells. I should have rephrashed that last post, but we all get the idea.

ive ben doing this 22 years i know how to take care of the animals in my care and others in my clients tanks the fact is they can eat corals weather you feed proper amounts or not some will some wont when we put animals in a unnatural inviroment they can do anything i was just posting this as a warning to others its not eating all zoo's just a few types so please dont speak to me as a newb.

Well, I have nowhere the amount of experience as you Jody. I've only been doing this reef thing for only 2 years this month. I just read the article in Aquarium Fish Magazine "How Safe are "Reef Safe" Fish in Your Tank," by Scott W. Michael. They go over all the different types of fish and they have a specfic section on the blue tang, Paracanthurus hepatus and this is what is says:

"In a reef tank, nipping at corals may occur, especially if the fish are not receiving enough to eat. Offer food to P. hepatus several times a day."

Jody, I know you know how to care for your animals. It's just that I'm SUGGESTING that you should care for them in a different way. That's all. For the example at hand: you can do 2 heavy feedings, OR you can do 4 normal feedings through out the day. Both ways care for your fish. It's just that the latter might reduce the tendency for P. hepatus to eat those zoos. I'm not trying to discredit you as business. I mean, I come here to learn from others, and help those who need it. I just thought you would like my help, that's all.

my quote of two heavy feedings was a generalization they are well fed its not picking at all corals just a few types of zoa's the reason for this post was to warn those with zoa's that if you have a regal tang you may want to watch if zoo's start coming up missing.I appreaciate the advice i gess when youve ben doing this as long as i have its hard to take comments like that but i should lol i dont know everything so thanks, but its well fed and it has decided it likes a few species of my zoo's and have found others that have had same experance so i just wanted to pass it along because before this ive only known tangs in the zebromosa family to pick or eat corals and thats when they've ben under fed also.