Please read! Protect our hobby!

Emerald525

In case you don't like to click links...

Do we have enough information here? Are fish being overcaught? I know that stoney coral is already protected in Hawaii.

That is the problem here in Hawaii. Though i don't think i only speak for myself, this is my opinion... I have no problem with regulation and limits. Just show me the data. No one, including the state or Bob has furnished any. Instead we are getting statements from Bob like "All fish die within the first year in an aquarium." Now when he spews that information over public radio or his letters posted on the sea shepard website, most are going to take his words for fact.

Bob is only looking out for his own best interests. His tourism snorkel business. [start sarcasm] But we all know leaky boat engines, anchors, tourist standing on or sitting on the reef, breaking pieces off, oil slicks from sun tan lotion, etc... have no impact on the reef. No need to mention overpopulation of these islands, run-off, commercial fishing, or the 40 million gallons of raw sewage dumped in the ocean a few years back. Nope, none of that matters, its the aquarium collectors that are killing the reefs. [end sarcasm]

If you got some time to kill, here is Bob's interview on public radio:

Town Square - November 11, 2010 | HawaiiPublicRadio.org

Although I can see how there is good in both of them...over collection is an issue.

To be honest, (and no offense is meant to anyone in the industry in the state of hawaii) but our nation has a treasure in that island. It is best left alone.

It is amazing with the way people fish out there that there is anything left.

Is some collection reasonable? Yes.

Should it be highly regulated? Most likely.

Conservation is never a bad thing, and snorkel bob has dedicated his life to that. Hard to hate on the guy. He just wants his hawaiian reefs to be there for the next generation to enjoy.

No offense taken, so please don't take any in mine.

Let me reiterate what i said in an earlier post:

Though i don't think i only speak for myself, this is my opinion... I have no problem with regulation and limits. Just show me the data. No one, including the state or Bob has furnished any.

Mostall of the opposition today has no problem with regulation, if needed. There have been seven "drops" of yellow tangs this year. Its comments like you made that have no weight to back them up.

"It is amazing with the way people fish out there that there is anything left."

What facts do you have to come to this conclusion? Compared to what? Other areas? Compared to the numbers in the wild? Show me some data.

Personally, I'm not going to take your word for it. When is the last time you were here on these boats or collecting? I'm more apt to listen to the collectors that are in these waters every day. Those that make a living doing this, that feed their families doing this, and the businesses that have been handed down 3 generations that are collecting.

Snorkel Bob has dedicated his live to shutting down the aquarium industry in Hawaii. The words came out of his mouth in the interview i posted earlier. Snorkel Bob's only motive is to cash in on his tourism business and nothing more. One greedy man with an obvious agenda trying to cripple the livelihoods of many families and families to come.

This bill, if passed will turn my 4 year old daughter into a criminal. The same little girl who's eyes light up when i tell her we are going to the tide pools. The little girl with a small net, a bucket, and the biggest smile you could ever see... a criminal.

This bill is not regulation.

Kevin

• Like 1

I will get the proper information for those that want to submit a written testimony to help us out.

I urge all that love their aquariums, believe in regulation rather than ban, and those here that send divers to Hawaii to do your business (yes, that's you nanoreef hehe) please just put something in writing. Even if it is just a note to say you oppose this bill.

Please help us "Stop The Lies". Also please listen to that radio broadcast of snorkel Bob so you can see what we are dealing with.

It is actually quite amusing to listen to his confident speak turn quickly into defense when asked about data.

This is an emotional topics for many of us here. Please don't take any offense to anything i have or may post. I apologize if i have offended already. It is very hard to present emotion an text and sometime these posts are a way for me to vent.

Aloha

Kevin

First off emerald....posting for attention....no....I am not the poll queen here starting threads over bs like soprano'ing things and claying them up....take a look in the mirror. Second, the cyanide conversation I was having was with Jody....you know the guy from TECO....so unless you are implying that Jody doesn't know what he is talking about or spews bs out his mouth....which I highly doubt...then you can save your bs comments. No....we were not talking about this exact thread....thought I should say that before you make your assumptions or jump to conclusions and start running your mouth. We were discussing the loss of my purple tang when the conversation about cyanide came up....then I spoke to another guy who, although not directly he "implied" that the cyanide tactic is or was used hawaii to catch fish purely for the hobby. Now if this isn't true then great and good for them. As for bob being a douche yes...anyone who says that if you see a tank you should ask them to take it down in my opinion is a douche. Last, I do think that since this is hawaii's fish and ecenonmy that is being discussed then it is hawaii that should make the decision.

Oh....and I never said I signed....I said I WOULD sign something that says he is a douche....read the words before you comment.

It sounds like hawaii is not for this bill so imo it should not be passed. If it is going to have adverse affects on their economy then it shouldn't go down.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Again I am not saying that hawaii uses cyanide....only that I was recently led to believe that they did. But after reading kevins responses I am doubting the source that told me that. But I do not doubt anything I hear from jody. And again jody did not say anything about hawaii in our conversation....only about cyanide with catching fish which I had never heard of before that.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I will get the proper information for those that want to submit a written testimony to help us out.

I urge all that love their aquariums, believe in regulation rather than ban, and those here that send divers to Hawaii to do your business (yes, that's you nanoreef hehe) please just put something in writing. Even if it is just a note to say you oppose this bill.

Please help us "Stop The Lies". Also please listen to that radio broadcast of snorkel Bob so you can see what we are dealing with.

It is actually quite amusing to listen to his confident speak turn quickly into defense when asked about data.

This is an emotional topics for many of us here. Please don't take any offense to anything i have or may post. I apologize if i have offended already. It is very hard to present emotion an text and sometime these posts are a way for me to vent.

Aloha

Kevin

Kevin I actually think you handled yourself very well in this thread. (clap)You're a very laid back dude and I would have expected you to be more heated given the lies perpetuated that are affecting your livelihood and affecting you personally. I appreciate the information and your comments are wellspoken. I have not listened to snorkel bob's testimony yet as I have already read exerpts and it's best heard with a beer. I would be happy to submit a written testimony so please provide me the proper information and where I would send such testimony.

Eric, I'm putting you on ignore sir in this thread as this topic is way to important to throw in unnecessary and unwanted distractions.

Everyone "play nice".

I know it is a topic that has/will get to people on many a level and it will bring out all emotions.

But don't flame! PLEASE!

Now back to topic...........

Kevin if you could post a link or an email to where we can send "a note" as you asked that would be really helpful.

Let's keep this going

Bump Wetpetshawaii got the 500 signatures he needed!(clap) Let's keep it going!

Again, I would like to caution people about posting before getting the facts. There is too much at stake for the hobby and people in the hobby. As Kevin mentioned this is not just about having a nice saltwater tank. This affects people's lives.

It is easy to sit back and think "This is not in my backyard and will not affect me".The fact of the matter this affects all of us. A blanket ban not based on facts could happen anywhere. I am not against regulation of this hobby and it is already very heavily regulated in Hawaii as previously mentioned.

What I am against is an outright ban that is not based on any facts. If that occurs in Hawaii it can occur anywhere. Snorkel Bob is spewing outright lies to push forth his own agenda.

I for one can attest many years ago when I was an ignorant tourist visiting Hawaii for the first time, I rented snorkel gear from Snorkel Bob and unknowingly likely caused damage by stepping on the coral reef as there was no clear warning or instruction from when you rent from his places. You just get this little map that says in small print "don't snorkel in this place".

Being in this hobby has made me much more aware of how precious and sensitive these creatures are and much more concerned with their care. If Snorkel Bob had his way the saltwater hobby as we know it would be dead.

What would be great is if the bill failed but then they started looking into the effect of tourists being able to rent the snorkle gear (from snorkle bob) and go out without supervision and destroy the reefs, and maybe ban the practice of renting the gear to do so. That would help way more than banning the hobbiest fish industry! A smart one knows that without the reef the fish dont stand a chance, so if the fish are struggling then protect the reef from the people that do say " it's not in my backyard" and the ones that basicaly just dont care and only care about there happines and experiance while there.n There are plenty of businesses that will take you out and show you the reef respectfully, for tourists to be able to enjoy hawaii and not leave there footprint doing so.

• 2 weeks later...

Update! The fight is on!

Just an update. The initiator of the thread Wetpetshawaii, just posted this up in another forum.:

Alright guys the fight is on!!!! tomorrow morning is the city council hearing tomorrow to determine a future for Hawaiian Aquarium fish availability......thank you everyone who took the time out to sign the petition...Im gonna try and use it tomorrow to show our state lawmakers how many people in the mainland contribute to both our economy in Hawaii and in the USA from this aquarium industry.... I agree with having rules set in place to protect our resources but I strongly oppose this bill because I do not agree on a total blanket on aquarium collecting in Hawaii.....mahalo and Aloha! God Bless

Guys & Gals, i apologize for not getting the information to you on written testimonies. My source wasn't able to provide me the info to pass on.

Good News though!

Oahu City Council voted unanimously to amend the proposed package and remove the aquarium language. Snorkel Bob sent over a representative to oppose the amendment, but one against 25 did not work in Bob's favor.

The next issue is that all counties of the state have to agree on this package being presented. This means that Maui, Kauai, & Big Island have to agree to remove this language. Keep in mind the other three counties have already passed the package with the language.

There is another meeting on Dec. 13th on Oahu. The other counties will be present. It's not over yet, but we are getting close.

Kevin