Gobstopper help please

sharoleb

Ok, Jon was nice enough to meet me at my house on Saturday morning to deliver my grow out zoas.

All are doing great - except the gobstopper. Purple hornet opened as soon as the lights came on and looks very happy, same w/ the freebies. The gobstopper looked like it was going to open all day Saturday, not so much yesterday, and now looks pretty pathetic today. I ran all the tests on my water yesterday:

Nitrites: 0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrates: less than 5

PH: Low at only 7.8

Is my ph low enough to cause this issue? Great growth/color in everything else in the tank. WHen I first got the zoas, I floated them to temp and then dipped in Tropic Marin. I have always done this to try to help w/ unwanted hitchhikers, but am no longer confident in that plan.

Thoughts PLEASE - Mr. Gobstopper is so sad.... (sad)

not really - all I've ever done for zoas is dump a cup or so of my water into the bag, dip and call it good. Apparently this is a bad idea...?

Any ideas how to save it? Jesse I saw your GO thread of saving all those frags - share your secrets!! (enforcer) ;)

I did basically the same thing. I don't dip them though (never had maybe at somepoint I will). I float them to get to temp then I take a cup of water and slowly dump water in every 5 mins or so for up to 30 mins. Not sure if that helps or not but that's what I've been doing.

I acclimate to temp and drop them also if the water is close to my tank-I test everyones water that I buy/trade from, so I know what it is used to

did you acclimate them to your water at all other than getting them up to temp? I know I've lost some zoas from having such a big swing in kH.

Do you know what Jon keeps his tank at? Not sure why I recall this but I thought he was in the 10+ range.

I too have lost zoos based on big swings, but that was like coming from a tank of 6.5 to 10.8

Regardless, I don’t know what can be done other than hope for the best, I got a 2 poly frag that one opened and the other never has, I hope it will in time but for now its still knuckled down.

GS are pretty hearty IME, hopefully it pulls through-someone will donate another one 2 you I am sure-I'd be willing if it goes south-I know Brandon lost his King Midas and I'm gonna hook him up, and Frank lost his PH and I'm gonna hook him up to-

Let me know if it does not make it-it may be a little bit down the road, but we'll get ya another one-;)

I acclimate to temp and drop them also if the water is close to my tank-I test everyones water that I buy/trade from, so I know what it is used to

Do you know what Jon keeps his tank at? Not sure why I recall this but I thought he was in the 10+ range.

I too have lost zoos based on big swings, but that was like coming from a tank of 6.5 to 10.8

Regardless, I don’t know what can be done other than hope for the best, I got a 2 poly frag that one opened and the other never has, I hope it will in time but for now its still knuckled down.

GS are pretty hearty IME, hopefully it pulls through-someone will donate another one 2 you I am sure-I'd be willing if it goes south-I know Brandon lost his King Midas and I'm gonna hook him up, and Frank lost his PH and I'm gonna hook him up to-

Let me know if it does not make it-it may be a little bit down the road, but we'll get ya another one-;)

We should have you take notes on everyones tank so if have any issues we can just call on Brad...(laugh). I hope that frag your talking about isn't the one from me.

I did basically the same thing. I don't dip them though (never had maybe at somepoint I will). I float them to get to temp then I take a cup of water and slowly dump water in every 5 mins or so for up to 30 mins. Not sure if that helps or not but that's what I've been doing.

Thats a good practice Jesse-I will do it with some corals.

You'll start dipping when you get nudi eating zoanthids-those buggers SUCK-been there done that

Its Murphy's Law...Its the Zoas you really care about that seem to not do well...lol, Zoanthids are doing great in my tank, I take the plunge and spend the most I've ever spent on 1 polyp and its one I have been wanting for a while, and I think everything should be fine since ALL the other zoanthids are doing great...but bam, once in my tank...it closes up and acts like it wants to melt away....(sad)....It just has to be my favorite one too...

I really think its hit or miss, you could have perfect parameters for Zoanthids, and for some reason, when you get them, some won't like your setup, weither thats lighing, P.h., Alk, you name it...its the strangest thing I have ever encountered.

I am in the same position as you, I am just saying a little prayer before the lights go out, and at this point just happy to still see a nub when the lights come back on in the morning....meanwhile ALL my other zoanthids are growing like crazy, even my first frags that I did a few weeks ago are going nutz...I had my water tested, and everything checked out good too...So I know its not water quality...(scratch)

I've only ever had something like that happen once before, I purchased Bam Bam Oranges from two different sources, one I paid ALOT more for than the other, the more expensive one had about twice to three times the amount of polyps on it, but what do you know, The more expensive one with more polyps slowly dissapears while the smaller cheaper frag grows like crazy, exact same zoanthid, same aclimation, same water parameters, same lighting.....one makes it.....one doesn't....(scratch) I have no idea...

It's just the strangest thing! For the most part zoas grow like crazy in my tank. I have this issue w/ yumas. I have some and really love them and want to collect more. I can't seem to keep the new ones alive, at least the ones I REALLY like... (scary)

I don't have a problem paying good money for beautiful corals, only have a problem when they die! (laugh)