How to kill bryopsis?

impur

I have a small zoa frag that is growing on some rock the size of a pea. But out of this tiny pebble of LR is a massive amt of bryopsis. I removed the frag and using tweezers have been plucking the bryopsis but 2 days later its twice as thick and twice as tall!!!! I'm afraid it will smother the zoas, is there something i can do to get rid of it? What do you think about plucking all the stalks then covering all the rock with superglue, all the way to the flesh of the zoa? Will that work? I've never had this stuff before it sucks!!

Here is the frag, hermans reds

100_0050.jpg

Blow torch

Hitting it with boiling water in a syringe will soften it and allow some fish to eat it. But it will come back if they dont continue.

If you can cover any tufts in glue or epoxy that will kill it as well if you cover it well with no paths to grow out.

To truly kill it. Blow torch

I've had some headaches with this stuff, man, don't let it spread, kill it while you have a chance. I'd try the superglue smother. A kalkwasser paste will also kill it off. I've had luck with the kalkwasser paste, haven't tried the superglue smother but I think its probably the best. Chunks of kalkwasser paste floating around kind of stinks, burns corals if it sits on them. Nothing else I've tried works. Boiling water hurts it for awhile but it charges back. Lettuce leaf nudibranchs don't phase it (IME), and neither due sea hares. I was inches from getting a foxface but a little scared of them. Then my bryopis dissappeared! It was one of two things, a phosphate remover I put in (phos-x I think, not sure), or putting a chunk of it in my sump. I think it was the phosphate remover, I believe it was supposed to absorb silicates and other stuff as well. There are still tiny bits of bryopsis but nothing compared to the ever growing patch I pulled out weekly and still lost ground to. Good Luck!!

Its stalled. I am getting some Furan-2 tonight and gonna give that a shot. They aren't getting better, but they are disappearing much slower. I'm happy about that, gives me time to try some things. The pods are sure munching away at the polyps though, i found some wierd bright yellow pods yesterday.

have to keep an eye' date=' I know the tux will eat it but cant get where a LN can, I have both and they are both good cleaners.[/quote']

Nyles, when the LN died, it did not do anything to your tank? also do they eat all kinds of algae, I have some turf algae that I would really like to get rid of.

Nyles' date=' when the LN died, it did not do anything to your tank? also do they eat all kinds of algae, I have some turf algae that I would really like to get rid of.[/quote']

You and me both. I hate that stuff. I'm gonna cook my rock and try to rid it that way.

You and me both. I hate that stuff. I'm gonna cook my rock and try to rid it that way.

Yeah I can not do that, my rock holds to many corals...I think my light is whats causing it because where there is alot less light, it does not grow at all...I know that nutrients cause it, but I think the light is helping it...so maybe a LN will take care of it...

Sorry, did not mean to hijack your thread.

. I'm gonna cook my rock and try to rid it that way.

FYI--cooking alone wont do it unless you do it for a LONG time. Even after 3 months of cooking, scrubbing and swishing violently in between each weekly water change.......i still had the crap come back. This is with ZERO problem algae of any other kind popping up in the tank.

The stuff is satan.

I got pissed off a month ago.........cut or fragged the sps that were encrusted on rocks, dissassembled my tank, removed the rocks with bryopsis and blow torched the stuff. Its hard to see every little tuft when the rock is out of the water so i DID miss a couple of spots.......i just loooked closely every day and covered any sprouts i saw with epoxy.

I THINK i have finally beat it

FYI--cooking it wont do it unless you do it for a LONG time. Even after 3 months of cooking, scrubbing and swishing violently in between each weekly water change.......i still had the crap come back. This is with ZERO problem algae of any other kind popping up in the tank.

The stuff is satan.

I got pissed off a month ago.........cut or fragged the sps that were encrusted on rocks, dissassembled my tank, removed the rocks with bryopsis and blow torched the stuff. Its hard to see every little tuft when the rock is out of the water so i DID miss a couple of spots.......i just loooked closely every day and covered any sprouts i saw with epoxy.

I THINK i have finally beat it

We were talking about the red turf algae, but dang i hope i can get all the bryopsis smothered before it spreads!!!