anyone tried this homemade rock wall?

mister crabs

there is a guy on RC that used some sort of concrete mix and crushed oyster shell to make a rock wall on the back of his tank and it hides his overflows, returns, and it has little ledges to place frags. Just wondering if anyone had any input as to whether this looked like a good idea? (scratch) I think once it got covered with frags and corraline it would look WAAAYYY better than a painted back tank. heres the link : http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=993625

but im curious whether its resistant to UV rays?

I had my 125 all planned out to make a huge cave/reef/frog/cichlid tank out of that stuff, but ended up doing saltwater at the last minute. You can use a morter mix with certain types of pigments too to coat the foam, but one mfg. rep told me some pigments are fish safe and some are not and can leach into the water. The one thing I see as a challenge with this stuff is making sure there are enough pores for bacteria and life. I've seen a 850g tank and all he had was a wall of that ceramic type of stuff, just hope he had a bit of live rock in the sump at least.

Quoted from their Faq. http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff/cons/faq.htm

Can GREAT STUFF be used outdoors?

Yes, GREAT STUFF can be used outdoors. However, cured foam will discolor if exposed to ultraviolet light. Paint or coat foam for best results in outdoor applications.