Shark tank Build (temp housing for hatching)

CA2OR

Shouldnt you be setting up your tank Brandon??? :)

Yea probably...lol

I don't have my french doors put in yet though so I can't even get the stand in when its done. I also don't want to finish it and have it just sit in my garage and take up my parking spot either. I'm working on some stuff on it slowly but your probably right. I have so many little things to do on it though that I'm still making the small stuff happen at the moment.

Well....thanks to incompetant companies my new shark has arrived. This wasn't supposed to be sent for another month....and that was confirmed via email less than a week ago.

How about some pics....these were taken during acclimation

Dex didn't really know what to make of him

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6536.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

IMG_6535.jpg

Good thing the coral cat is coming from somewhere else I guess because they are totally understanding of not shipping till further notice. But as I am sure you can guess the rush is on now to get the new tank up and running. Rick is bringing down sand today and Snowpunk is going to assist with stand build and plumbing.

Talk about eaters.....this little dude took down 25 silversiders by itsself. The eel only at 5 and was stuffed....but this shark....I had to stop offering him food.

And my remaining fish were tripping on him....almost like they could sense the pending danger at hand

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

they SAID it was a marble cat shark....looks to me like a banded but it does have the speckles....

No egg hasn't hatched yet. The baby is alive and well....but the yoke was on the farside of the purse which was blocked by the sharks body....which is why we couldn't see it.

yeah still in cube. I restacked my rock work to open up the entire bottom of the tank for sand space. I am a bit peeved as I requested a marble cat and this appears to be a banded cat....would still look interesting next to the banded bamboo as it has a brighter pattern without the speckles.

Holy heck! How big do those get? Do you need a really long tank for them so they can "stretch their legs?" Do they eat everything else in the tank? Do they bite your fingers if you hand feed them?

I don't think I could handle a pet shark. I jump every time the clown bites me! ;)

Gillian

Holy heck! How big do those get? Do you need a really long tank for them so they can "stretch their legs?" Do they eat everything else in the tank? Do they bite your fingers if you hand feed them?

I don't think I could handle a pet shark. I jump every time the clown bites me! ;)

Gillian

24 to 27 inches is average in captivity. The length of the tank isn't as important as the width so to speak...sharks like to swim in circles. I am sure at some point they will try to eat whatever they can. And from what I have seen you can hand feed them. We are going with a large....LARGE tank that is being custom built before the other 2 sharks arrive. Yes...the other 2....we are still getting a coral cat shark...which is currently being held until we are ready for shipping....and depending on the final tank size will predict if we are getting a black tip or smoothhound.

A what? Dwarf hammer' date=' Oh I gotta know more!! You got any reading material on them? Whare to get them, what size they get and so on?[/quote']

sorry....here is the link to the dwarf hammerhead (Bonnethead)....

http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/dwarf-hammerhead-shark-sphyrna-tiburo-bonnethead-p-19885.html

which is our other option....but both this and the black tip are demanding of a very large tank which I am just unsure if we can go that big. I mean something like 10x6x30in might be alright....I see people saying that 8x6x30in is good for these sharks but something in my mind says NO WAY!!!!

Best guess for these sharks is like 15000-20000 gallons....gonna need a bigger houseDOH!

I don't know (scratch) Maybe the first would work in a shark tank but I would worry it would get encrusted with Coraline or something else. The second just doesn't make sense for any tank, if you just get an acrylic box you could get the same effect with a much better camera. If you were actually swimming in the water it would make sense but your tank isn't that big LOL.

What are the dimensions of the tank you are having built and where in your house are you going to put it? By the way' date=' I thought I had the coolest wife in the world. But after seeing this project, I may need a good lawyer.[/quote']

Ok....first off I couldn't....and still can't stop laughing. Secondly, we are going to go with 8x6x24. Should accomidate the active shark as well as these and the coral cat. So we will have the marble cat seen here, banded bamboo, coral cat or port jackson, and bonnetheat or black tip

When it is all said and done we will have 4 sharks. 3 "bottom dwellers" and 1 active.

Good lookin shark Eric' date=' grats man, an Rick, pics are awesome as usual man, can't wait to get you out here to take some for us LOL.[/quote']

Thank you sir. I am going through tough times deciding on the active one....guess I should start a poll cause I honestly cant decide

Rick....thank you very much for the sand and pics....I promise the next time you are out the glass will be clean.

8x6x24! That's huge! How many gallons is that? Where are you going to put it? Do you have to have the floor reinforced for a tank that big? How big is the sump? Will the sump be in a remote location?

Once you get it set up, you're totally going to have to host one of the monthly meetings so we can all come and gawk at it! :)

Gillian

8x6x24! That's huge! How many gallons is that? Where are you going to put it? Do you have to have the floor reinforced for a tank that big? How big is the sump? Will the sump be in a remote location?

Once you get it set up, you're totally going to have to host one of the monthly meetings so we can all come and gawk at it! :)

Gillian

That tank will be in garage. Tank would be approximately 718 gallons. Garage is concrete so no need for reinforcing. There will be either 2 or 3 sumps...haven't decided yet....I only know for sure no less than 2 skimmers and ideally sumps will be under tank.

wont be hosting meeting until we get our active swimmer.(naughty)

You can find an easy calculator for tank size here

http://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm