From day 1 to now, now the clowns!!

Kimberlee

Well due to someone, the tank Kimberlee had a picture above was broken (cough). (whistle)

The good news is (Thanks to Epic1) We have now recycled that old tank into the baffles on this sump.

SDC11747.jpg

Beer can is there for Height reference.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Hozer that hammer is a monster. I swear it's trying to reach across my tank to attack other coral. The thing is huge and has a resident clown fish.

The two seem happy together, wish I was as happy about the union. This is a problem seeing as the clown has lost color ever since it hosted the hammer. I think I my need to introduce a carpet anemone to the tank to correct this. I however don't feel my tank is quiet ready for a carpet anemone, so that's the new goal. I need time to do some reading, and while I'm getting ready for that I have time to try other things like diet. Maybe the problem isn't the host.

SDC11645.jpg

The top part of this ones head was all filled in w/ black. I'll post another pic when the lights come on, but you can get the jist from this one.

CH/9 Now we take a look at my water chemisrty

Seeing as I'd like to take a crack at a carpet anemone I think it's time to look at what I do to my tank.

Oh and I keep logs, not the most professional logs, but hey this is a hobby.I started keeping records when I decided to attempt vodka dosing. Yes vodka. I read a lot before I did it. I read so much that I didn't have any questions to ask when I was done. I think I did it right to, because after the first 2 weeks everything in my tank started to show 10x the color. Anyway let me see if I can copy my records to the thread.

1 1/28/11 dose .1 ml Nitrate 10

Ammonia 0

Phosophates 0? maybe?

KH 8

PH 8.4

2 1/29/11 .1ml

day 3 1/30/11 .1ml

4 1/31/11 .2ml

5 2/1/11 .2ml

6 2/2/11 .2ml

7 2/3/11 .2ml

8 2/4/11 .4ml Nitrate 5

Amm 0.25

Ph 0

KH 6

PH 8.4

9 2/5/11 .4

10 2/6/11 .4ml

11 2/7/11 .4ml

12 2/8/11 .4ml

13 2/9/11 .4ml

14 2/10/11 .7ml Nitrates 0

Amn 0

Ph 0

PH 8.2-8.4 morning test 7.4

KH 7

Cal 440

cyno on the sand bed

15 2/11/11 .7ml

16 2/12/11 .7ml

17 2/13/11 .7ml Nitrates 0

18 2/14/11 .7ml Amn 0

19 2/15/11 .7ml Ph 0

PH 8.4

KH 7

cal 460

20 2/16/11 .7ml

21 2/17/11 1.3ml Nirtates 10

22 2/18/11 1.3ml Amn 0

23 2/19/11 1.3ml Ph 0

PH 8.1

KH 8

Cal 480-500

Nits, could be due to 20lb of LR added 2/15/11.

Added carbon to a high flow area on 2/19/11, to be left

until 2/21/11

24 2/20/11 1.3ml daily Cal

25 2/21/11 1.3ml

26 2/22/11 missed dose

27 2/23/11 1.3ml Nirtates

28 2/24/11 1.3ml Amn

Ph

PH

KH

Cal

29 3/2/11 missed dosess starting at 1/2 dose .7ml and .7ml in the

evning to be dosed like this the first week

30 3/3/11 .7ml Nitrates 5

Amn 0

Ph 0.0

PH 8.0

KH 7

Cal 540

Mag ??? 1050

31 3/4/11 morning .7ml

32 3/5/11 morning .7ml

Had a little set back when I had to go up to OHSU w/ my husband (everything's fine), but I wasn't at the house for a couple of days, and things were neglected a little.

Regular maintenance includes a 10% weekly WC, w/ Kent salt. This water now comes from an RO/DI unit in the house. Not trying to promote anything here, but the Kents salt is great. Switched from instant ocean about two months ago. The mag and cal levels are always good, and I've found no need to dose any supplements. All power heads and other equipment is cleaned on WC day. I take most of the day to do this just so I don't feel rushed and I know it's done thoroughly. Except when cyno starts to show up I leave the sand bed alone.I also take this time to ajust any corals that don't seem quiet happy where they were.

The last run of test I did were three days ago, so it probably wouldn't hurt to test tonight. I always test at the end of the light cycle, but I test the PH again before the lights come on. I find a 10 point swing through out the day, and that has been constant for some time. I have no idea if that's considered a big swing or not. As you can see from my records I don't test all the time. I don't like to drive myself crazy trying to keep prefect #s. Bad things seemed to happen when I obsessed and messed w/ it all the time.

I've got a couple of things non reef related to attend to. I know what could possibly need to be done that's not reef related, but as it turns out apparently there's a whole other world out there. Who knew.

Well thank you. I love this hobby, there is always something new and something new to learn.

Now I'm waiting for my lights to come on so I can take a few after pics. I'd like to put them next to the pre vodka pics. Funny though the color doesn't show as well on film. It's amazing the difference I can see in person.

Continued

Now since I started keeping records of the vodka dosing I've started putting everything into a record. I have a feeding record as well as a place to document general changes. If I change something I write it down w/ date.

FEEDING HABITS/ changes and info to make schedule

CORALS

DAY

2/23/11 all fed 1/2 cube

3/1/11 1/2 cube

NIGHT

Candy Canes and Fivia are the only coral feeding at night

3/2/11 fed 1/2 cube

3/5/11 1 full cube

FISH

2/23/11 fed large amount of the big pack of food from Fanta seas

2/24/11 fed small amount of bloodworm mix from Rose City,

+ piece of silverside to the BTA

3/2/11 fed +1 silverside to BTA

3/3/11 fed +1 silverside to BTA

Been feeding the cubes for three weeks. Corals have colored up a

lot, but colors could also be the result of the vodka.I've been

over feeding, will now stick to feeding twice a week. Day after WC,

Thurs., and Sun.Except the skirt less zoos from Scott's tank, they

need to be fed every other day due to condition.

Need to add Phytoplankton after WC once a week for the clam

And the general notes

All DT notes

Feb. notes

Moved the tank 3 weeks ago, cyno reappeared. Started vodka dosing

27 days ago.

Corals

Acans

The acan from Rose City was a maroon, army green, and blue when I

brought it home in Dec. Over the last 2 months the color dulled or

(bleached out) a little, ending up light blue and maroon.

Vodka dosing started 1/28/11, almost a month ago. The colors

bleached a little more. About three days ago I started to see a big

change in color. The acan now shows a bright orange. The green is

no longer army green. It's a bright green, blue is now strong light

blue-violet. The growth on all the coral has increased, as well as

them all appearing to be stronger and brighter in color.

3/4/11 x-mass fivai added + longnose hawkfish

Lights

2/23/11 Ive been running the lights for 9 hrs, w/ the actinics for

1,1/2hrs at start and end of cycle.

Looking to see if the longer actinic time might effect coral color.

GPH

skimmer 295

canister 250

4 power heads, totaling 1300

total GPH 1845+ 32x water volume

Water Changes

No longer using water from the vender at Safeway,5 stage RO/DI unit

now provides.

Done between Thurs. night and Fri. morrning. Vodka dose is

increased after WC. Before old water is changed w/ new, water flow

is cut off and maintenance is done.

This includes removing cyno off sand bed, and algae off the glass.

Than the skimmer is allowed to run for a while to clean up the

water a little. Also at this time power heads and other equipment,

is cleaned.

Missed last Thur. Tank went weeks without WC. Did 15% following Wed.

and I'm changing the day to Sun.

Changes not routine

fraged 2 palyps. will frag the rest after the first 2 show they are

doing well.

Removed cyno and small amount of the sand bed w/ it. The sand will

be rinsed and put back during WC. Cyno did not recover the sand

bed,during the next light cycle, after removal.

Missed weekly WC, starting log over kinda.Changed out 15% 3/2/11

These are all records I've decided to start keeping the last couple of months. I wish I had kept them from the start. I think it would be interesting to compare. I'm hoping this thread might help someone just starting their tank, and I'd like knowing how other members run their tanks, and why they do it that way. There's a lot of knowledge in records like these. The thing I hear said the most is every tank is different, so we all do it a little different for a reason. The reason is the part some of us leave out of the thread.

I've been lucky I think. Despite some of the dumb things I've done I think I've suffered less causalities than most, and have yet to be struck w/ a disease. Knock on wood. I've only had 1 pest, and dealing w/ it was as simple as removing a small piece of rock. The stuff the LFS was trying to sell me to rid my tank of the Aiptasia that came from a rock I bought from them ( sorry I find it messed up) was more than what I paid for the rock. I just chucked the rock and avoided buying something I might not need again until it was expired any way. I think I'm also lucky that any tank crash I thought was happening, was really only happening in my head. My tank was less bothered by what was going on than I was.

Here is a pic right when I brought it home.

12-01-10063.jpg

There was way more green, but it soon went away. It wasn't a real nice green either. The green is now coming back, and is brighter. Also orange is showing in the center of the heads.

A pic under just my actinics

001-4.jpg

and one under full tank lighting

025.jpg

The color never shows up as well on camera. It bleached out, and started to color back up within three weeks during vodka dosing, and should be something in another month. The colors have just started coming back but are already more vivid.

Here is another one.

DSCF0924.jpg

Went from that to this

055-3.jpg

And

SDC11646.jpg

now

076.jpg

An updated pic of the monster hammer, courtesy of Hozer. Thanks I actually find it funny that this hammer seem to get it's hands on everything, so to speak. First my birds nest frag fell, than the hammer stretched its self to attack a near by fivia. Turned parts of both coral white. There's an earlier pic in this thread

064-1.jpg

066.jpg

I love pics

060-1.jpg

hawk fish is dead I want out of this will probably be giving things away soon

Sorry to hear about your Hawk fish, Don't give up...Everyone has thier ups and downs, I know I sure have, but you can't let a set back cause you to give up entirely....Anytime you deal or work with living creatures, things can happen, they can die, and sometimes it almost seems beyond your control, Everything else looks good still doesn't it? You still have a beautiful tank with beautiful corals, just unfortunatley minus a Hawk Fish....

Again sorry for your loss....

Looking back, it says you added the Hawkfish on Friday the 4th, and today monday the 7th its dead? I would almost say it wasn't doing well prior to you getting it, did it come from a LFS? I would almost check back with them, and take in a water sample...I know most places don't have guarantees but 48 hours and its dead, seems pretty quick to me...Sometimes though fish just die, I bought a fish, looked healthy, added it to a tank, with fish that had been there thriving for a long time, and within 3-4 days it was gone, the rest of the fish continue to do well, and are still thriving....so I know its not my tank...it was the fish I purchased...If it was something wrong with the tank, the other fish would be perishing as well....

The three fish in my tank have been in there for months. They are all happy as could be. All other live stock is thriving. I just want like 2 more small fish in there. Doesn't seem to be happening though. Tested my water, nitrates were 5, but nothing else. My tank has been really stable even down to the nitrates being around 5. Yes it came from a local fish store, but it's 1 I regard very highly w/ reason. The fish looked very healthy, although it didn't eat yesterday.

Okay love my tank too much, would never get rid of it. Still need more fish. It's really frustrating that the tank is healthy, yet the last three fish I've gotten have all died. It's just been bad luck. I've loaded the thing w/ corals and they are all just dandy. Better than that really. Clam is more active than I though a clam would be. Reacts when the fish that are in there pass by, and is healing nicely from where the blenny I had decided to take a bite from.

Dose any one know what this is? It is small and hard to get a good pic of, but looks like one of those clear vitamin E tabs. The ones that are jell on the inside. It doesn't appear to be hurting anything. I'd like to know what it is though.

034.jpg

Dose any one know what this is? It is small and hard to get a good pic of, but looks like one of those clear vitamin E tabs. The ones that are jell on the inside. It doesn't appear to be hurting anything. I'd like to know what it is though.

Glad to hear your sticking with it, as to your question that is bubble algae, it seems fairly common, but can quickly spread all over if your not careful....it can quickly become a nuisanse.