Cube tank plumbing advice..please!

414driver

I'm gonna set up a 36x36x25 cube tank. What would be the optimum set-up for the plumbing if I detested powerheads?

Right now in my 90 gallon 48x18x25 I have the end drilled for 2 overflows and 2 inlets...powered by a Dart...plenty of flow...even throttled down....but I'm not sure it's the optimum flow.

How would you do it???????????? Lay it on me!!!

Center overflow with internal section plumbed for return. 4 return pipes with line lock " T " diverters to direct 8 different nozzles. Would look clean' date=' it would all come from the bottom and you could centerpiece it ( walk around style ) with the sump/pump etc in the stand[/quote']

And a vortech-;)

Center overflow with internal section plumbed for return. 4 return pipes with line lock " T " diverters to direct 8 different nozzles. Would look clean' date=' it would all come from the bottom and you could centerpiece it ( walk around style ) with the sump/pump etc in the stand[/quote']

I like the idea...but hesitate to chew up that much real estate!!

I like the idea...but hesitate to chew up that much real estate!!

That depends on the size you make the overflow box, personally, I think a 6x6 box would be optimal, that should give you plenty of room for the returns, I mean thats 36 square inches to play with, plus it wouldn't eat up that much room, you'd still have basically a 1260 square inch area to play with, and with the center overflow, you could really connect your rock walls and channels in ways that you could never do otherwise.

Just my .02 worth lol.

oh, the options you have...

If it's gonna be a 3 side viewable(most are) then here are a few ideas you can do to keep them out...

This only works if you have a full hood...

Run your return lines up and over the tank. Put a loc-line fitting at each corner and run the nozzle just barely into the water. You can Y them and have two at each also if you want to. Next option is to only do that with the two corners near the wall. But set up a closed loop that has an inlet behind your rocks and either lets out above the tank only or from the bottom of the tank also(but still in the rocks. You can hide 95% of your lines that way.

The only other option really is to make some DIY rocks with the pumps molded into them so they aren't seen when you set them up. You'll still have power cords though :(

I'm entertaining the idea of a closed loop w/an OM 4 way. My other half is scared of drilling the bottom (she's scared of a lot of things!) so I thought I could drill the back down low and run pipe to the front of the tank under the sand.

Feedback please!!!

I planned this originally for my 4x3x2 but drifted away only because it would make a huge amount of plumbing under the tank and make the underside very limited on space. You would be fighting for space for your sump, skimmer, top off tank, ballast, and so on. I would be much less worried about drilling it then taking away all that space. I drilled 8 holes in the bottom of a 500g for two 4-way OM closed loops a while ago...

P1010069.jpg

Image stolen, thanks google

^^^^That is just too much wasted space to run one for me^^^^