Automated Water Changes

drock59

So you need barb to barb 1/4"? I'm surprised Jerry's or HD doesn't have it. I know I've bought NPS to 1/4" barb locally. Hate having to order little parts. There is a wholesale plumbing specialty house that has a lot of misc. parts (0 rings, etc). Want me to delve into my memory and see if I can remember?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, its the typical deal with Jerry's and HD. Jerry's stocks them but is out of them - always the same story there. HD doesn't carry them - always the story when i go there to get something

I ordered 8 of them from usplastics.com at $.26 each, Total is like 7 bucks including shipping. They are $1.29 each at Jerry's (laugh)

Yah, its the typical deal with Jerry's and HD. Jerry's stocks them but is out of them - always the same story there. HD doesn't carry them - always the story when i go there to get something

I ordered 8 of them from usplastics.com at $.26 each, Total is like 7 bucks including shipping. They are $1.29 each at Jerry's (laugh)

I am really fascinated with this! Any update?

I remember trying to go through the Masterflex catalog to see about using a dosing pump about a year ago. The catalog is a stone nightmare!

I also remember that on RC that the single speed Masterflex pump (such as you have) is reputed to be more reliable.

I'm also gonna sell the 50' of L/S 17 tubing I bought. I don't really need the specialized tubing, normal tubing from HD is the same size and much cheaper. So i'm gonna try to sell the L/S 17 on ebay and then i need to pickup some extra silicon tubing that goes in the pump heads. I think mcmaster-carr sells it pretty cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up 40ft of tubing finally and got to testing. It wasn't a large sample, but i filled 2 containers with 1000ML of water and plugged er in. Both containers emptied at the exact same time! I knew it would, but always better to be safe than sorry. So this week i'll get the hole drilled in my wall and get the thing plumbed in :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm convinced! I'm gonna do this and bite the bullet and go thru the stupid Masterflex data and use esnipe to snag a pump & heads. I was looking at RC and saw a guy that has been using this system for 2 years (saw your post too, Miles).

There has been discussion about variances in head pressure but I doubt it would be a big issue in many situations.

OK, I'm convinced! I'm gonna do this and bite the bullet and go thru the stupid Masterflex data and use esnipe to snag a pump & heads. I was looking at RC and saw a guy that has been using this system for 2 years (saw your post too, Miles).

There has been discussion about variances in head pressure but I doubt it would be a big issue in many situations.

Another lazy one lol

That one is variable speed, so you will need to find a controller or a way to wire it up so it will run. If you don't have a controller you will lose the variable speed functionality. But it will accept up to 4 heads and its cheap so thats a plus. Unfortunately i don't know how you would wire that thing up, take a look at the plug it looks like it has 6-8 contacts.

havent read the thread,,, but I do automatic water changes with a laundry paristolic pump. It has 2 pumps on it, but you can time them independently. I carefully measured the input and output of the two pumps (with the head pressure, since my vessle is in the garage) and timed them both to pull equal parts.

It simply turns on every time power is applied, and each pump runs for the set length of time. I have it on a controller that turns it on and off for multiple small changes per night. I change about a gallon a day normally.

Its made by Ecolabs, you can probably find one on Ebay. I can check the model if anyone cares or wants it.