ACCLIMATING NEW MH

wegotjs

Adding 175 MH to my 30 gallon tank. I have VHO right now .Is it better to turn the lights on for a hour a day and graudually increase the time to were I want to be, or screen (shade) the light and leave for the full photo periodright from the start. I'm going to be supplementing with my vho in the begining anyway.

Well I don't know if I did it right but when I went from VHOs to 2-400w Mh's. I started out with them running for about 1 1/2 hours a day. Then I added about 1/2 hour every 5-6 days until I reached to time span that I wanted to end up at.

Like I say don't know if that was right but it worked for me. Also I had only 1 or 2 sps and everything else was softies/lps'. I lost nothing to light changes.

HTH

slowwwww is good. I was never into shading. To much work. Start as 79 said, even though he is a PITA.(Private joke,I think). If you have the ability, you can also start off with it higher. When increasing your time, also keep an eye on your tank temp. :)

I used that plastic light diffuser or egg crate. I put it over the top of my tank for about a week and a half. I used four pieces and removed the two center sections and then moved the two end pieces towards the center (directly under the bulbs) after a week. Then I removed those pieces after a couple of days.

You could use two layers if you want and remove the top layer after a week. You just want to diffuse the light or shade your tank so the critters don't get burnt.